Help me identify

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono

Reaction score
Hey all,

Found this little guy 2 days ago on my car. Was looking to ID what kind of mantis this is and how big he or she will grow. I'm not too sure how healthy it is as it is missing one of the back legs but all else seems good. I've only been able to feed very small ants but I've heard this is not ideal. I was trying to get fruit flies but no luck so far. I do not live in the US so can not ship fruit fly cultures. Anyway please let me know because I like this lil guy.

WP_20150714_004.jpg

WP_20150714_002.jpg

This is in the Bahamas aka tropical and very hot. I will try get a better pic but I only have my phone camera and the mantis is tiny.

Ants are fine if you restrain or mutilate them for your mantis to eat. Interesting, I've never heard much about mantids in the Bahamas. Do you have a good container for the mantis? A pic would be great .

I'm using a old plastic 16 oz container with a plastic lid with holes in it. It's about 5 inches high I'd say. Is this ideal or no? Do I need mesh siding for it to molt? Right now it barely uses the sticks to hang from.

Update: I found some fruit outside that had tons of fruit flies so I have a good supply now. I put a few in the container and he just strikes them and kills them but does not eat them. Does this mean he just wants to molt or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great find, no idea on species though.

I was going to suggest set some fruit outside to rot, but looks like you got it covered. I have a colony of wild Melanogasters now that my little nymphs love. ;)

Latest posts