HELP ME!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darcy Poole

Reaction score
I need your guys help because i have about 15 nymphs who have hatched early , VERY early! They are Orthodera novaezealandiae i dont know how to deal with these little creatures because it is autumn here so if i let them go they will not survive long. Would be awesome if i could have some tips on enclosures. I have food sorted. They hatched about 15min ago.

One of the nymphs

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
fruit flies and a deli cup with mesh lid.

if you have to improvise on the enclosure you can try a 16 oz cup with paper towel on bottom and some twigs for them to hang out on.

for the lid some cheesecloth, mesh, screen material or even a swatch of pantyhose.

you can usually get some fruit flies from petco petsmart or better yet a reptile store (usually bigger cultures)

if food is not abundant I suspect they will eat each other until you have a few (fat) nymphs

just noticed your in NZ so not sure that you have Petsmart or Petco....but a pet store may have some fruitflies.

Im going to the pet store right now to see if i can buy some fruit flies and thanks for the advice with the enclosures. Few of them died yesterday, not sure why though ;(

Yeah I did that, the mantis are looking heathy and I bought some flightless fruit flies, they went right for them! ☺️

blog-0152469001407937692.png

when they hatched, i usually seperate them in small plastic cage.

(put a twisted tissue. it's helpful when they molt.)

and spray some water for 1-2days. During 1-2days, some nymphs may die...

After then i start to feed them(=strong nymphs).

ex) fruit flies, cricket nymphs, mealworms..

blog-0376684001407937839.png

This is a nymph of Hierodula patellifera (Serville)

* i'm not good at english, please understand..^^;;

Last edited by a moderator:
You have an interesting set up there... your Englis is just fine.. Thanks for sharing

Latest posts