Help! My Mantid is Sick

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfreak

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Olga. I have a male Large Brown Mantid nymph. I assume this as he is still green with a white stripe down his back. I've had him for about 2 weeks. He hasn't moulted during the time I've had him. Recently he has stopped taking food (laboratory-bred Queensland Fruit Fly) and his underbelly has lost its previous shade of green and started turning purplish-black. He seems weaker and lethargic. He has trouble supporting himself as he walks, dragging his abdomen along the ground (or my hand).

What is wrong with him? Is it diet or is he going to moult soon? I am lost for answers. If anyone has any ideas on how to save him, please help.

Thankyou, Olga.

I heard it may be a bacterial infection. It recently ate a serving of manuka honey with warm water having not eaten anything for a couple of days. This is a sign of improvement, right?

I heard it may be a bacterial infection. It recently ate a serving of manuka honey with warm water having not eaten anything for a couple of days. This is a sign of improvement, right?
Don't beleive everything you hear. People like to throw around things like 'bacterial infection' without truly knowing the cause. Chances of recovery are slim when it comes to this.

ah. thats sad :(

i had hoped it was just changing colour/ going to moult. it is going whitish on its head/thorax.

in the likely case that Mogbert (as i named him) does not survive, does anyone know where i could cheaply purchase large mantids in sydney? i found this one in my yard.

thanks for the help.

fingers crossed for a recovery.

It was as i suspected! He's moulting. The whitish tinge was his old cuticle. Will have to wait till hes finished moulting to see if the black is anything bad or just a colour change.

Unfortunately he's chosen the highest part of his cage to moult from. its a bit of a drop if he falls. Once their out of their old shell, can they just climb up it onto the roof?

*sigh* and to think, i was originally raising him to be pinned for an entomology assignment! Theres no way i could pin him now that hes caused me so much stress! Haha :)

He lost his two mesothoracic legs in the moult :(
Doesn't sound good. Now he will cause you more stress. You have to hand feed him since he can't catch any more food. How did he lose them? Did they drop off or something? Hand feeding with a pair of tweezers is the easiest.

They were left in his discarded shell. He didnt make it.

On the up side, i have a new adult New Zealand mantid named Boston. She looks spectacular! Beautiful blue eye spots on her raptorial forelegs! hope this one works out better.

Boston.

boston.jpg

Shes a beaut! I cant believe she's still alive! Shes laid me four healthy ooths already :)

bout four cm long :)

n534534537_941221_6674.jpg

n534534537_941223_7920.jpg

n534534537_951626_9974.jpg

:D

Latest posts