Help! My Mantis' belly burst, what can I do?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari

Reaction score
Hi all,
Very distraught first time mantis keeper. My mantis' abdomen has recently gotten a lot bigger, I have cut way back on the feeding and haven't fed her in several days. Today I think she fell from where she was perched (kind of high up), when I found her she had already climbed quite a bit and was acting normal, except that when I examined her, I saw her underbelly has burst. Can anyone tell me if this was because of the fall? I just read that you can overfeed a mantis, could it be that? And that crickets are not great (which is what Ive fed them recently because they lost interest in the mealworms I was feeding them).

The open part of her belly also looks very strange, like tiny little oblong sacs. Any help is greatly appreciated. Is there anything I can do to help my girl?

Thank you,
-A

Attachments

• IMG_4494.jpeg
    IMG_4494.jpeg
    923.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4495.jpeg
    IMG_4495.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4496.jpeg
    IMG_4496.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
She looks either gravid or overfed... perhaps a little of both. I've seen this before and the outcome is usually not good. 😕 All I can suggest is to offer plenty of fluids. Maybe @agent A has some suggestions. They are an expert.

Good luck and keep us posted. 🤞

Latest posts