Help please

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavlarr

Reaction score
Our deadleaf mantis just shed but lost a back leg in the process. She's lying on the bottom of her vivarium occasionally trying to move but to no avail.

Is this the end for her or can she be saved? 

Any advice will be appreciated 

Do you mean she fell while molting and lost a leg? Or is the rest of her exoskeleton ok? A lost leg shouldn't be a big deal, but if she fell then that might lead to bigger problems. 

I've had a mantis that lost a back leg, and he was walking fine. Are you sure there aren't any other problems?

If she can't walk at all, that's pretty bad... how long ago was the molt? You can try feeding her by impaling crickets on a tack, if you need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the replies. It's worse than we thought I'm afraid. 

Closer inspection this morning found she has also lost one of her pincers from her front leg. I can only assume she has fallen from her branch post-moult because her old exoskeleton is completely in tact. She isn't moving apart from an occasional attempt at standing up. Tried feeding her but she doesn't respond. Doesn't even move her head when offered a cricket.

I think this might be the end for our 'Luna'

Awww, yeah if she's not able to eat and isn't moving then you might be right. Have you tried to pick her up? One of mine recently had a missmolt and she was very exhausted after, I had to cut her free, both raptors and antenna useless. She was very limp when I left her to hang on her lid. She's doing better now, I thought she was a goner. If her legs are still working somewhat and she can hang on then there might still be a chance, but you might need to handfeed her if her raptors are deformed or gone. I usually try and do my best to save them, even if it means extra care. Try offering her water from a dropper, they're usually thirsty after. 

I've just tried again to feed her. She was a little more enthusiastic this time. She can raise her body up but her and was actively trying to grab at the cricket I offered. She ate a small amount, had a drink of water, I put a drop on her remaining raptor and she drank it. Then she layed back down again. I've left her to rest for a while now.

You might need to get a dropper and offer her water that way. I've been feeding my mantis superworm guts with tweezers since she can't hunt or hold anything. I'm glad she ate a little though, that's a good sign. 

If she's showing signs of life, keep doing what you're doing! One of my mantises has a missing leg and one of my mantises will only eat if I hand feed. If you have unfiltered and raw honey (unprocessed), that can give her a little strength and help prevent bacterial infection from any open wounds. And coming off of @crabbypatty , I tend to slice up and feed them wax worms since they're a little softer than superworms and seem to be better for the mantis (at least in my own personal experience) but whatever's available works. I would like to hear how this turns out, good luck with your mantis!