Help this newbie ID these storebought ootheca

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zemata

Reaction score
Hey guys. Decided to buy a mantid ooth from my local flower shop for my first go at this. Want to hatch them and release all but 2 or 3 after a few molts. I was wondering if you guys could ID these for me. They look like

Tenodera Aridifolia Sinensis to me but I may be wrong because I've never done this!(Don't mind the clutter and Lego

:eek:nline2long: )

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

Also because I'm new at this, are these containers a suitable size for each ooth?

IMG_1558.jpg

and just a few more questions. Should I line the tops and bottoms of the containers with paper towels? Do I have to suspend the ooth from the top or can I prop it against the side? Is this going to be enough mantids to justify the purchase of a FF culture? How to I feed the little beasts without them escaping????

Thanks a lot!

You are correct. Chinese mantis ooth

Those are too small of cages. They need to be taller. You should hang it but it will still hatch if proped against the side

I would buy one or two large castles (net cages) from here. I would buy many 32oz deli cups and fewer 60oz deli cups (for when they become 95mm long) from here (there might be a better place to buy the containers from and use whatever container that you have and can use for the mantids). I would not buy a fruit fly culture. Put a dish of rotting fruit outside and wait. When there are a whole lot of fruit flies get close slowly and use one of those 32oz deli cups or something like that to catch them by putting it right on top of them and quickly putting the lid on while it is upside down. Smash some apple (rotting apple is fine) well and fill it in a 32oz deli cup a little over an inch. To make them more surface area to pupate they need something (I think it was coffee grounds), I do not know please anybody who knows please write it down here. Then turn the container with the fruit flies side ways and shake the fruit flies up and down to make them hit the sides and do this until they stop moving. Then put them in the container with the smashed apple and close the lid. They will start moving later. Do this with many fruit flies. I would make one culture every week and if that makes too many fruit fly cultures then make fewer. To feed the fruit flies to the mantids get one of the fruit fly cultures that have many fruit flies and put it inside the net cages and open the lid and leave it in the net cage and zip the net cage back up. Or you could just catch fruit flies whenever you need them (this is easier for me) the way I wrote up there. When it rains there will be no fruit flies so I would make and keep a few fruit fly cultures producing. Those are Tenodera sinensis oothecae. T. aridifolia used to be the species and sinensis the sub species but they changed sinensis to the species so it is Tenodera sinensis. There are still Tenodera aridifolia. The ones in America are Tenodera sinensis. The genus is supposed to be capitalized but the species and sub species are not. The common names are supposed to be capitalized. After they molt once or twice I would move each one in one 32oz deli cup. If you have too many let them go (a good place would be a field that is not mowed and that has tall grass with many grasshoppers and crickets). And I would get many Lobster Roaches and or Red Runners and or Blaptica dubia Roaches to feed them. Read about those roaches to keep a colony. You can buy roaches from these two places. I think there are better places. You could maybe make an ad on roachforum.com for many roaches.

http://roachcrossing.com/

http://www.smallpetf...bearing-roaches

Last edited by a moderator:
I would buy one or two large castles (net cages) from here. I would not buy many 32oz deli cups and fewer 60oz deli cups (for when they become 95mm long) from here (there might be a better place to buy the containers from and use whatever container that you have and can use for the mantids). I would not buy a fruit fly culture. Put a dish of rotting fruit outside and wait. When there are a whole lot of fruit flies get close slowly and use one of those 32oz deli cups or something like that to catch them by putting it right on top of them and quickly putting the lid on while it is upside down. Smash some apple (rotting apple is fine) well and fill it in a 32oz deli cup a little over an inch. To make them more surface area to pupate they need something (I think it was coffee grounds), I do not know please anybody who knows please write it down here. Then turn the container with the fruit flies side ways and shake the fruit flies up and down to make them hit the sides and do this until they stop moving. Then put them in the container with the smashed apple and close the lid. They will start moving later. Do this with many fruit flies. I would make one culture every week and if that makes too many fruit fly cultures then make fewer. To feed the fruit flies to the mantids get one of the fruit fly cultures that have many fruit flies and put it inside the net cages and open the lid and leave it in the net cage and zip the net cage back up. Or you could just catch fruit flies whenever you need them the way I wrote up there. When it rains there will be no fruit flies so I would make and keep a few fruit fly cultures producing. Those are Tenodera sinensis oothecae. T. aridifolia used to be the species and sinensis the sub species but they changed it to the species so it is Tenodera sinensis. There are still Tenodera aridifolia. The ones in America are Tenodera sinensis. The genus is supposed to be capitalized but the species and sub species are not. The common names are supposed to be capitalized. After they molt ones or twice I would move each one in one 32oz deli cup. If you have too many let them go (a good place would be a field that is not mowed and that has tall grass with many grasshoppers and crickets). And I would get many Lobster Roaches and or Red Runners and or Blaptica dubia Roaches to feed them. Read about those roaches to keep a colony.
u tell 'em happy! u tell 'em!

I couldn't even read all that, my eyes started to cross, hisbiscy says listen to happy :yawn: and she is gonna lay down without finishing her shipping and rest her feet till her pain pill hits her and then watch some telly! :eek:fftopic:

I would buy one or two large castles (net cages) from here. I would buy many 32oz deli cups and fewer 60oz deli cups (for when they become 95mm long) from here (there might be a better place to buy the containers from and use whatever container that you have and can use for the mantids). I would not buy a fruit fly culture. Put a dish of rotting fruit outside and wait. When there are a whole lot of fruit flies get close slowly and use one of those 32oz deli cups or something like that to catch them by putting it right on top of them and quickly putting the lid on while it is upside down. Smash some apple (rotting apple is fine) well and fill it in a 32oz deli cup a little over an inch. To make them more surface area to pupate they need something (I think it was coffee grounds), I do not know please anybody who knows please write it down here. Then turn the container with the fruit flies side ways and shake the fruit flies up and down to make them hit the sides and do this until they stop moving. Then put them in the container with the smashed apple and close the lid. They will start moving later. Do this with many fruit flies. I would make one culture every week and if that makes too many fruit fly cultures then make fewer. To feed the fruit flies to the mantids get one of the fruit fly cultures that have many fruit flies and put it inside the net cages and open the lid and leave it in the net cage and zip the net cage back up. Or you could just catch fruit flies whenever you need them (this is easier for me) the way I wrote up there. When it rains there will be no fruit flies so I would make and keep a few fruit fly cultures producing. Those are Tenodera sinensis oothecae. T. aridifolia used to be the species and sinensis the sub species but they changed sinensis to the species so it is Tenodera sinensis. There are still Tenodera aridifolia. The ones in America are Tenodera sinensis. The genus is supposed to be capitalized but the species and sub species are not. The common names are supposed to be capitalized. After they molt once or twice I would move each one in one 32oz deli cup. If you have too many let them go (a good place would be a field that is not mowed and that has tall grass with many grasshoppers and crickets). And I would get many Lobster Roaches and or Red Runners and or Blaptica dubia Roaches to feed them. Read about those roaches to keep a colony. You can buy roaches from these two places. I think there are better places. You could maybe make an ad on roachforum.com for many roaches.

http://roachcrossing.com/

http://www.smallpetf...bearing-roaches
I made a few mistakes. I fixed everything I could find.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts