help with a fruit fly culture

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arm2010

Reaction score
Hi i hope someone can help,i've just bought a fruit fly culture and not sure how to look after it,how long do they last? how should they be kept? please help somebody!!! many thanks.

What kind is it? Is it a small round vial or a large deli cup? Either way it's about the same. It should last a few weeks at most. I have about 10 vials going at a time. Every few weeks I have to clean them out and transfer the remaining flys to newly started vials. You can buy all the supplies from www.carolina.com

He is in London. How is he supposed to buy from www.carolina.com

He is in London. How is he supposed to buy from www.carolina.com
Well I did not notice his location. International shipping may be possible.

No, but foreign companies can become authorized distributers of their products! Please keep the threads on topic. arm, did you get the info you were looking for?

Yeah they should be replaced to a new culture every couple weeks since BIG cultures will attrached mites. Mites do damage to fruit flies. That is what I was told by carolina and I read it in one of their books that come with a fruit fly culture when you purchase a culture.

Hi guys and girls thanks for the info, i've got a culture already i was wondering what you do to maintain it, i'm grateful for any info you can provide many thanks for all your replies. cheers

Hi there, the culture should produce thousand and generation of flies. Keep them at around 70-80F and do not add more media or water on it. If you see mold or mites in the culture, it is best to replace it with a new culture with completely new fruit flies. I was told that mites kill the larvae/maggots and destroy the culture. As what Rick suggested, if you have mite problem, get the mite paper from www. carolina.com.

Okay good no mites, but change culture about every mont so cultures wont get to large in number... which will bring in mites. Which could do harm to your fruit flies.

All depends on the size of your culture. They all pretty much die out in a few weeks. I currently keep flies in 32 oz deli cups and I also have about 20 vials of them going. The medium will dry out or get used up by the fly larvae.

Yes but they reproduce every day. And that means cultures can bigger than you least expected it. :shock:

Yes I know they are fast to reproduce. They get large in numbers in a couple weeks and within about three weeks they culture is almost doneand will stop producing flies. I have to redo them every few weeks.

I bet it stinks? Since they keep reproducing and get big in numbers huh?

What is the culture made of? it smells of sweaty socks, can you make the culture or do you just buy another?

Thats not what I meant. I mean it stinks do you have to keep so many fruit flies since they reporduce quickly. I didn't mean it smells.

What is the culture made of? it smells of sweaty socks, can you make the culture or do you just buy another?
You can buy a new culture, you can buy the dry media to make new cultures with the flies you already have, or you can search the internet fot home made recipes and try to find a good mold inhibitor to make your own media. We sell a dry media, but its not on the website or advertised anywhere just yet.

Or you can just simply buy the medium from www.carolina.com if you :p