help with dyed flys

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macro junkie

Dead Leaf Mantis
Reaction score
i got my dad to go and get me come maggots..i told him "dad,get me half a pint of white maggots and half a pint of pinkies" so he comes back with white maggots and pink maggots..not the pinkes but dyed pink maggots..i chucked the white ones in tub and pink ones in a different tub..i hatched them both and i just looked and saw the pink ones the flies are pink..lol they have bright pink faces..lol..so my question is

Can i feed these flys that been dyed with pink dye to my mantids with out harming them or is it to risky?please advise :)

ps - after looking at these flys i have to get a macro shot of its face..looks like its put make-up on..lol

cant wait to see it! i've seen the pink ones in the shop but i never thought the pink would carry through adulthood! :p

i have always read that you should stay away from dyed maggots/flies, but have never read/asked why. also i've always had the choice of dyed and undyed so thought there was no point in risking it. however i would also be interested to hear why some people stay away from them.

The magots I use are a 50/50 mix dyed and undyed. I haven't noticed any problems yet and I think the colour fades from the flies in time.

I would use them as food. I can't see why it would hurt anything.

update..12hours after hatching the red has gone so dam it..cant take any pics of them..il wait til i hatch some more and be sure to take the pics just after they hatch.il probably use them after reading your comments.

I have noticed coloured maggots when they hatch into flys, when the fly is still soft you can often see the colour in it but as it hardens up you cant see it any more.

I have used them with no noticable ill effect but cannot advise you to use them just in case some thing does happen (food dyes are reportedly quite dangerous, especially red and caramel) so i stay away from them especially when undyed are so easy to get. :)

Latest posts