help with giant asian mantid please!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradley7779

Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly hello to all members as this is my first post! :D

A good friend of mine a year ago gave me a nymph giant asian mantid, now he only has one male left out of 8 mantids. He also gave out 6 to close friends but they all sadly died, my mantid ' Banjo ' fortunatley has had a great life in a nice big tank and up until recently i was a bit of a big girl and didn't want to handle her but after a few dutch courage beers the one night i decided to get her out to which i was amazed how friendly and intregued she was with everything.. anyways two mornings ago i got up to find her doing what looked like a huge poo! after reading up ( as i never knew anything about mantids before ) she has laid her first ootheca, i have tried frantically to find her a mate as i have been told she only has 3 - 4 months left to live, my pal wont let me use ' Hank ' as he is worried she will gobble him up! i also read that there is a specias that does not need to mate and can still produce nymphs? does anyone know if 'Banjo' is the breed in question?

If not anyone live near the midlands that would provide a mate for a share of the nymphs as i would really like to keep her character alive..

Many thanks to you all in advance! :D

Bradley.

Hi Bradley, and welcome to the forum. :) Your Giant Asian is not a species known for parthenogenesis (not needing a male to lay fertile oothecae), so she would need to mate with a male to be fertile.

I don't have an adult, but someone may. It might help if you mentioned more specifically where you are located. By "midlands" I don't know if you mean the midwest, in US, or where?

Good luck with her and in possibly finding her a mate. ;)

Hi Bradley, and welcome to the forum. :) Your Giant Asian is not a species known for parthenogenesis (not needing a male to lay fertile oothecae), so she would need to mate with a male to be fertile.I don't have an adult, but someone may. It might help if you mentioned more specifically where you are located. By "midlands" I don't know if you mean the midwest, in US, or where?

Good luck with her and in possibly finding her a mate. ;)
Hi Sorry! it would help wouldn't it lol I live in the UK so anyone around the birmingham/tamworth area would be ideal. oh and also i have left her alone the last 2 days just incase she is sore or what ever, is it best to not handle her for a little while beens as she has just laid? and should i remove the ootheca if its not fertile?

many thanks!

Bradley.

Hi Sorry! it would help wouldn't it lol I live in the UK so anyone around the birmingham/tamworth area would be ideal. oh and also i have left her alone the last 2 days just incase she is sore or what ever, is it best to not handle her for a little while beens as she has just laid? and should i remove the ootheca if its not fertile? many thanks!

Bradley.
Thanks for making me smile this morning, Bradley. :) I can tell you are very considerate and caring towards your mantis, and it's heartwarming. :wub: I don't know if mantids get sore from laying their oothecae, but I'm fairly sure it's not like equating the pain and soreness afterwards of a human female having a baby, even if they do. I actually doubt they experience any discomfort at all. I wouldn't worry about hurting her by handling, as long as you are gentle and considerate as I'm sure you always are.

As far as removing the ooth... it's really up to you. It won't cause any harm if you leave it, nor if you remove it. ;)

Thanks for your advice Kat! yeah I think I have got quite attached to ' Banjo ' now, she was sitting in my hand just the other night watching Dane Cook Live so I know we even have the same sense of humour! :lol:

and I just love the way that when you try and put her back in the tank she turns round and holds up her arms like a lil baby does until you pick her back up!

I'll post some pics soon so everyone can see how ace she is. :D

You need to go get 'Hank' from your friend before he exspires, and have him make sweet love to 'Banjo'. Tell your friend to stop being such a wuss :lol: . If you feed her up till she cant eat no more she will be less inclined to have 'Hank' for lunch. If your friend is so worried just make sure your present just incase she tries to eat him you could break it up. Just think of all the 'Hanjo's' you could split between you and your friend.

You need to go get 'Hank' from your friend before he exspires, and have him make sweet love to 'Banjo'. Tell your friend to stop being such a wuss :lol: . If you feed her up till she cant eat no more she will be less inclined to have 'Hank' for lunch. If your friend is so worried just make sure your present just incase she tries to eat him you could break it up. Just think of all the 'Hanjo's' you could split between you and your friend.
You're friend needs to take the risk. And poor Hank...it really is his mission in life.

Follow the 'mating technique' thread by Rick. If your Banjo is well fed, she may not eat Hank.

Good luck! :)

thanks all... i know, i really hope he lets him have one last boom-chica-wow-wow session before its too late :( .. i'd like some 'hanjo' s ! :lol:

Welcome to the forum :D
thank you for the warm invite!

i've learnt more in half a day than 2 weeks reading lol

i tried to see if 'banjo' wanted to come watch die hard with us ( dane cook went down well but i dont think she's into action movies lol ), but she wont leave her ootheca-poo thing.. :( she's bein really protective bless her.. she needs sum male mantid luvin methinks... seen some on ebay but i think its a bit wrong sending these beautifull insects in a jiffy bag.. : (

beens as its -1 c at the min here in the uk i dont think she will be goin out on the pull anytime soon!

much love.

Afternoon all!

Im in a bit of a dilema <_< ... Banjo laid her ooth as mentioned above but is not fertile and now when i try to see if she wants to come out she just stares at it, she briefly sat on my hand for only a couple of minutes last night and just kept staring back at her ooth, after placing her back ontop of her tank she immediately went straight over to her ooth and started staring back at me as if i was a threat. Its a shame to see her character change so much ( i know that she is naturally protecting her ooth ) so im debating over whether to remove the ooth completely but will she know it has something to do with me and never be the same again with us :mellow: ??

What does everyone think??

Just remove the ooth. She has no parental instinct towards her children. It's unfortuneatly all coincedence that she may appear to be protecting her ooth from you. If that ooth were to hatch in front of her she would have no problem devouring her own children, if given the chance. Dont worry, she will still :wub: you just the same.

Just remove the ooth. She has no parental instinct towards her children. It's unfortuneatly all coincedence that she may appear to be protecting her ooth from you. If that ooth were to hatch in front of her she would have no problem devouring her own children, if given the chance. Dont worry, she will still :wub: you just the same.
+1 ;)

hi all!

sorry! just another quick question... I wanted to know what the life span of a giant asian mantid is? i read through the thread that was posted on here a while back but im still confused as most people say 12months - 18 max but someone posted that they hatched a nymph in 2006 and it died earlier this year? i've had Banjo since she was a lil nymph and she is 12 months old now so does that mean she only has a max of 6 months left? or is it 12 - 18 months from when they have molted for their last time?

Many thanks in advance!! :D

***** update ***** I took out banjo's non fertile ooth last night and hey presto she's back to her old self again this morning and has resumed hanging from her favourite patch on her tanks roof and was tapping on the glass at me while i was ironing my shirt to come out n play! :D

Glad to hear it, Bradley! They are so personable aren't they? :D
Hi Kat!

Yeah there absolutely mint! love em! cant believe im now 29 and only just found out they were so cool and wacky!

I've just posted in the breeding section to see if I can get her a fella to do the business with so fingers crossed might end up with a load of lil banjo's soon!

Oh and I read the thread about posting them and I dont feel so bad now that i know how they are packaged for posting so I might ask the mrs to get me one for xmas off ebay if all else fails... :D

Latest posts