Help with identification

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis House

Reaction score
Hello all, I found this mantis in my moms car this morning, and I was just wondering what kind it is. My only guess is that it is a Carolina mantis, but I’ve never seen one before, and there aren’t any in my area. My only idea is that it hitched a ride, and then somehow found its way into the car. 

163780AA-3F79-47D8-AA63-D91A14EA0AD2.jpeg

D9E8C49E-5F6B-4968-9607-0ED6B5B6F59D.jpeg

I’m pretty sure it has to be a Carolina, but I just wanted to be sure, since I’ve never seen one before. It’s pretty small, maybe an inch head to tail. I live in Indiana, so there isn’t a whole lot of variety in the native mantis species. 

Looks like a female Carolina, yes. Could be wrong on the sex, but I’m pretty certain she’s a Carolina. I don’t have much experience with them, but we get limbatas over here, and yours looks to be Stagmomantis as well.

Good luck with the little mantis, whatever it turns out to be!

Yes Carolina mantis. I grew up in IL and they were very common. 

I had many Carolina mantids hatch out this summer. I decided I liked the species, 2 specimens in particular, so I kept them. They are very calm and "friendly". Carolinas are like the Chinese... underrated. ?

Latest posts