Help With Understanding Tarantula Molting Please!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaddock

Reaction score
My tarantula keeps getting bare patches on her abdomen... They look bad, but I'm under the impression it's part of her molting cycle. On the other hand, I'm worried that maybe her food (crickets) might be chewing her. I never see her eat, but the crickets disappear... I wanted to keep the food out and let her molt (this will be her second molt with me), but she is getting really skinny and the food seems to be disappearing! I want this molt to go well, because one of her legs was bent during her last molt. Argh. Please reassure me here. I'm babbling!

Pics-

Last edited by a moderator:
I know almost nothing about Tarantulas, however, isn't a bare butt usually from them flicking their hairs in self defense?

I have heard that that is because they kick hairs a lot and the ones that have less of a bare patch they do not kick their hairs as often.

Your tarantula is under stress. A tarantula in pre-molt has a grey or blueish grey color filling up that patch. From what I can see it's still peach. When a tarantula feels threatened or feels uncomfortable it will kick hairs which is a sign it is under stress and to defend itself. You may want to lay off on handling her too much and research a little more on what species it is and try to meet its needs such as more or less humidity. Higher or lower temperatures. Good stuff like that.

You may want to lay off on handling her too much and research a little more on what species it is and try to meet its needs such as more or less humidity. Higher or lower temperatures. Good stuff like that.
Why do people say research most of the time and not read! It sounds too formal!

Can you post some pics from side of the whole tarantula and a close front view.
I'll see what I can do. Is that the Seattle Bridge Troll in your profile shot?

I know almost nothing about Tarantulas, however, isn't a bare butt usually from them flicking their hairs in self defense?
I have heard that that is because they kick hairs a lot and the ones that have less of a bare patch they do not kick their hairs as often.
Your tarantula is under stress. A tarantula in pre-molt has a grey or blueish grey color filling up that patch. From what I can see it's still peach. When a tarantula feels threatened or feels uncomfortable it will kick hairs which is a sign it is under stress and to defend itself. You may want to lay off on handling her too much and research a little more on what species it is and try to meet its needs such as more or less humidity. Higher or lower temperatures. Good stuff like that.
Thanks ya'll. I guess I never considered that. I've only seen her kick her back legs a couple of times, and I rarely handle her... I'm thinking it's probably the cage- too small. Would the stress cause her to not eat as much? Not sure why she'd be kicking so many urticating hairs uriwhere! Perhaps she's laying them in her den?

Can ya'll please assist with IDing her? I bought her as a Mexican Red Rump I thought. It looks like the prosoma on a red rump is black though. Mine's peach.The hairs on the abdomen seem like the right color. Hmmmm! Help?

Why do people say research most of the time and not read! It sounds too formal!
Reading sounds more casual to me. Research implies purpose! :p

Aha! Mexican GOLDEN Red Rump -

brruhnaie.jpg

My profile picture is a suit.

Well post a picture of the whole setup and let me see what I can tell you.
I was asking Newflvr what the profile pic was. It's totally the Seattle bridge troll. Nice suit though.

OK. Here's the current setup:

Here's my proposed solution- a mesh cage that is probably six times bigger! If I put a humidity tray and a bunch of hides and such, this thing will be a jungle!!!

Yes Kaddock that is the Fremont Troll my wife and I were there last winter. To the OP since you havn't posted the pics , are you positive this is a female?

since you havn't posted the pics , are you positive this is a female?
I actually think this is a male after examining the exuvium. There doesn't appear to be a spermathecae present... I can't get any pics better than the ones in my first post, I've been trying and they all just look awful. I need a new camera.

Definitly a male, and he looks healthy to me. Males don't eat as much, and tend to be skinnier anyways... Just keep an eye on him, stop handling so much, and soon his patch will start to "grey" which means he's going into pre-molt, no more feeding then. If you want to watch him eat after the molt, use tongs and hand feed him, it's awesome to watch.

Definitly a male, and he looks healthy to me. Males don't eat as much, and tend to be skinnier anyways... Just keep an eye on him, stop handling so much, and soon his patch will start to "grey" which means he's going into pre-molt, no more feeding then. If you want to watch him eat after the molt, use tongs and hand feed him, it's awesome to watch.
Cool thanks. I'm going to upgrade him to a 10 gallon today. He seems so cramped in this tank, and I want to save that massive mesh cage for either mantids or a huge arboreal spider!

I've only picked him up maybe four times in the six months (or more) that he's been in my care. That's why it seems strange that he's kicking so many bristles. I'm hoping the 10 gallon will alleviate some of his stress. I will allow for more burrowing room as well. I think I might transfer my P. imperator into this tank for now!

Don't males stop molting once they've reached maturity, or is that only with some kinds of tarantula?

Here is the final result. I guess he's got a bit more room in this ten gallon, deeper substrate and an additional hide. Thanks for the advice feedback everyone!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

On another note- I've noticed that he can no longer scale glass! The first day I put him in here, he was all over the place. No I see him struggling to even take a step vertically. I wonder if he's having a hard time producing silk from his feet. Is that something that happens?

Have you given him some toys? Yes I said toys! Mine like to push around foam peanuts and small styrofoam

balls. I

find them in funny places, ontop of decorations,in the water dish or in corners. Try the peanuts. They cost nothing and are not dangerous as far as I know.