Help...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preacher

Reaction score
Pinne_2.JPG

Hi!

Could anyone please help me identify this nymph..?

Picture is quite bad, I know..

It's an east african species, that much I know. Nymph on picture is L3, and a little bit longer than an inch. Since hatching it has been straightbodied, never "curling" its tail. I think it might be Heterochaeta..?

/kind regards Preacher

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site. Please introduce yourself in the introductions forum. I have no idea about the mantis. Looks like tenedora but you said Africa and nymphs can be hard to ID.

Hi all!

well... yes I'm sure it's african. i got the Ooth from east africa, so..

What I'm preaching..? :D

when I'm not breeding mantids and such, I'm a vicar in the swedish church (Lutheran).

Yeah, I know... But, as said, it's from an ootheca imported from east africa... Is it possible..?

Heterochaeta... of course, what else. Everyone thinks that any unknown ooth from Africa must be Heterochaeta...

I am so tired...

Anyway, this is a Tenodera or Epitenodera nymph, as far as I can see it. It would be better to ask later, when they're adult, an ID is easier then.

Yes, of course it would be easier when they're older.. Then I might even see it myself.. No oothscam, since I know who's sent them. And, no, i don't think its Heterochaeta because I want it to be something special. (that kind of comments makes ME tired)The only reason I thought about it is because it would be unlikely that it's a tenodera ootheca picked in the wild of africa, and the fact that the nymphs, as said, is strightbodied and really big right from the start.

Thank you Georgia :D

/Preacher

Hi again!

Epitenodera sounds interesting.. I know of Epitenodera Gambiensis, but has no previous experience from them. Neither do I know how they look.. Are there more african Epitenodera species?

/Preacher

There are a few African Tenodera species, the most widespread being T. superstitiosa. Epitenodera species look superficially similar, but are slightly smaller. There are several described species spread throughout Africa.

Thanx!!

Found a picture of superstitiosa nymph, and it seems rigth on the spot..

I didn't know anything of them.

/Regards preacher

Latest posts