HELP!!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brancsikia339

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make a fly trap? My flies aren't hatching and I need to catch some. I already caught three but I have a lot of mouths to feed! Anyone know how to make an ESCAPE PROOF flytrap?

here's what i do

take a piece of deli ham, microwave it for 30 seconds

place outside in sunny spot

catch flies with a net, put into empty bottle and refrigerate until they slow down ;)

I have had luck in the past skimming the tops of shrubs and bushes with a "net" (my net is really a mesh umbrella shaped plate cover like you use to keep flys off your plate at a picnick...dollar tree find works great!) I also use this to trap flys that land on dog poop in the back yard in warmer months)

I have not yet tried setting up a white sheet hanging outside with a drop light or black light to attract moths etc.

(I have maybe 40-60 blue bottles and a grip of house flys going in two containers so have not needed to hunt in a few weeks now....thats alot of flies, but my Ladies like to eat!!!!

Bees make good feeders. They're out and about every day here.

Where are you located? I could give you some adults if you're local in California.

Where do you order your flies from? I've been getting amazi g hatch out rates with pupae from grubco

Bees make good feeders. They're out and about every day here.

Where are you located? I could give you some adults if you're local in California.

Where do you order your flies from? I've been getting amazi g hatch out rates with pupae from grubco
Please don't use honeybees for this purpose.

Catching flies this time of year really depends on where you live. I would recommend just ordering some right now so you can get them ASAP and feed what you can in the meantime.

Please don't use honeybees for this purpose.

Catching flies this time of year really depends on where you live. I would recommend just ordering some right now so you can get them ASAP and feed what you can in the meantime.
Yes please do not use honey bees. They have a tough enough time already.

Latest posts