Heterochaeta & Gambian Spotted-Eye (HD Video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha! You're one of the lucky few who got in on the heterochaeta huh? Those things are so awesome looking!

haha! You're one of the lucky few who got in on the heterochaeta huh? Those things are so awesome looking!
I just stumbled onto them. I guess I lucked out. :) Right place, right time...

I'll be posting more video as they mature. And, hey, if I can get them to mate maybe you'll have some of the next generation. ;)

I just stumbled onto them. I guess I lucked out. :) Right place, right time...

I'll be posting more video as they mature. And, hey, if I can get them to mate maybe you'll have some of the next generation. ;)
I was one of the few other lucky people in the US to get them. ;-)

I got around 10 Heterochaeta of my own left and they all are around L4 now and about 1 and a half inches long to almost 2 inches!!

I got around 10 Heterochaeta of my own left and they all are around L4 now and about 1 and a half inches long to almost 2 inches!!
One of mine molted to L5 (or L6?) last night and it is at least 3.5"!

I love these things. Very easy to keep and full of personality like little monkeys.

Hope yours keep growing, and we can get some to breed. :)

How long do Heterochaeta occidentalis mantids grow??, and do you know the difference between Heterochaeta occidentalis and H. Strachani?

How long do Heterochaeta occidentalis mantids grow??, and do you know the difference between Heterochaeta occidentalis and H. Strachani?
According to Kruszakus they grow to almost 6 inches! You can see some great pics in his post HERE.

I don't know the difference and I'm only assuming mine are Heterochaeta occidentalis. The guy I bought from didn't know. If you find out fill us in. ;)

I'll be posting more footage of them soon.

well I was lucky I got these from africa along with some other different ooths and most were full of wasps but this ooth was unharmed but the ones I have left are doing good and just got to find out what genders they are but waiting till adults to find out easier!