Heterocheata O. Questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connor

Reaction score
I have been looking into getting a group of these amazing mantis. Only problem is they get so big. I was thinking of keeping them in a big net cage but I saw on the care sheet that the mismolt pretty bad in net cages... is this true or are they fine to keep in net cages? And they are communal right? Thanks for any help!

They can molt in net cages fine, in their younger instars. As they mature they tend to mismolt in them, their best molting surface is sticks lined at the top of a glass terrarium, preferably birch branches. The reason must be similar to why idolo also mismolts in nets quite often. They are both from the same areas, around Tanzania. Chaeta have stronger tarsus and can grip glass unlike idolo.

@bobericc Ah ok... thanks for the help! I have a group idolos so I'll try and mimic what their enclosure is like. Weird though if they are from the same area yet idolos need such precise conditions unlike Heterochaeta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heterochaeta need very precise conditions, they die from stress probably more often than idolo if they dont have enough space and sticks. Its much more about the feng shui with chaeta. They really do need to feel "at home"

@bobericc oh I meant temperature and humidity wise. I've heard that Heterochaeta just need 60-80 degrees and around 30% humidity.