hey all!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime64tothe42

Reaction score
hi guys I am new to this fun pet hobby. does any body have any suggestions for a beginner mantis? I was told by a local pet shop owner that there are very few types of mantis that can be kept in doors without failure... this true? he also told me they only eat grasshoppers but I think thats b/s lol thanks for having me!

sincerely , Chris

Welcome. It is not true that there are only a few species that can be kept indoors, all that I know of can. Most mantids will eat many things. Sphodromantis species and Creobroter species and Ghost Mantids and Hierodula species and Budwing Mantids are easy to keep. There are a whole lot of other mantids that are easy to keep.

wowzers there are many types (species?) of these guys! do any of you guys mate others to make mutants lol or is this science fairy tales? hehehehehe

thanks i am so fond of aliens (mantises) lol

wowzers there are many types (species?) of these guys! do any of you guys mate others to make mutants lol or is this science fairy tales? hehehehehe

thanks i am so fond of aliens (mantises) lol
Yes, someone in Germany made a P. wahlbergii x P. ocellata hybrid. I guess they are infertile.Oh, and there are about 2300 species and maybe many more kinds of mantids mantids.

Last edited by a moderator:
a mantis will eat almost anything they can catch in there claws lol. ive fed mine raw dead meat from a pair of tweezers and ive givin mine live fish before and she ate them. If you want a free mantis just find some bushy green plants and look real close. thats how i got mine there not that rare if you look in the right places.

a mantis will eat almost anything they can catch in there claws lol. ive fed mine raw dead meat from a pair of tweezers and ive givin mine live fish before and she ate them. If you want a free mantis just find some bushy green plants and look real close. thats how i got mine there not that rare if you look in the right places.
A few mantids are something like picky. :D Chinese Mantids seem to be in tall grass more often so I would look through tall grass too.