Hey!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey5050

Reaction score
Hi my name's Mike and im a student at a university in the UK. Ive just joined the forum because i got a pet mantis (african praying mantis) and he's acting a bit funny! my set up is as follows

- plastic tank (about 12cm W, 25cm L, 10cm H)

- heating mat which i put on at night (gets cold in my student house)

- soil substrate (only a few cm on the bottom)

- plastic plants

i keep the tank pretty humid and feed him these small black crickets (about 0.5cm long). My mantis' name is Boris.

When i got him the new black crickets he ate alot of them straight away and then stopped hunting and just hangs upside down from the tank all the time. I thought he might be about to shed so ive made sure he's still got a cricket or two in there but just left him to it, trouble is its been a week now and i dont think hes been hunting in all that time and he's still just hanging upside down all the time. When i have got him out and put him near to a cricket he has only at most just struck the cricket but im sure its not that they are too hard for him - he's eaten them before no problem, should i be concerned?

thanks very much :)

Mike

I'm no expert, in fact I only joined here very recently to learn about my mantis about which I knew only very little but my mantis did a very similar thing before the first time I ever saw it shed and I too was worried that he wasn't eating properly. I think I read that they will strike at things to scare them off if they are about to shed. Which uni are you at?

Welcome! African mantids tend to sit still most of the time.

Im at Nottingham Trent. What about u? Is it normal for them to not eat for a week though? i cant be sure he hasnt eaten to be honest but im pretty sure whenever i look at him he's just hanging upside down. What a life eh?

Im at Nottingham Trent. What about u? Is it normal for them to not eat for a week though? i cant be sure he hasnt eaten to be honest but im pretty sure whenever i look at him he's just hanging upside down. What a life eh?
They are a really sedentary species staying in one spot most of the time. He's probably about to molt.

Ahhh a fellow Nottingham person, I'm at University of Nottingham, what do you study?

I study chemistry, what about you? boris is back to normal now, think he just went through an odd phase - hasn't molted yet. Somthing well wicked happened the other day - i dropped a cricket in and it landed on his head but before it even touched his head he grabbed it out of the air and ate it! mantids are ace!

I do computer science. Boris is a good name for a mantis, how old is he?

Latest posts