Heya

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andromira

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Ryan and i'm new to the hobby from Tampa, Florida. I have kept multiple reptiles and aquariums, but never dabbled in invertebrates and was hoping to start with a mantis. I am an avid cyclist and I'm a Chef for a living. I've raised a multitude of geckos and other reptiles through the years and thought it was time for a fresh start.

Hello and welcome to the forum
welcome6.gif

Do you have any specific mantid breeds in mind to start with?

I've been looking into a few breeds particularly Phyllocrania paradoxa, Pseudocreobotra Whalbergi, Parasphendale Affinis. Right now i have a tank setup and ready to go, and i'm just researching and finding which breed to buy.

I've been looking into a few breeds particularly Phyllocrania paradoxa, Pseudocreobotra Whalbergi, Parasphendale Affinis. Right now i have a tank setup and ready to go, and i'm just researching and finding which breed to buy.

The Pseudocreobotra flower mantid can be harder to care for, at least my Creobroter pictipennis were as mine were more timid and only had few reach adulthood awhile back. They are however a interesting and beautiful species.

The Parasphendale Budwing are a great species, and can be a camera ham and demand attention (mine really liked to be held). The Phyllocrania Ghosts are a great species, and one of my favorites. They tend to be rather easy to care for, great for beginners too, and one of the most exotic looking species. Also the Ghosts can be kept communal if they are provided plenty of space and feeders, cannibalism can still occur, so I personally keep mine separate.

In that regard you might be interested in the new forum supporter offer by Peter. As mentioned in part 2 the care package you get in return for the support, needs a heat or ice pack, and I will say when I got my care package for supporting it was well worth it (here is my topic on when it arrived, it was at the time done by Rebecca). ;)

Hmm i went to look into that, but it seems that the forum supporter button currently isn't working. It just keeps giving me an error message. I've sent a message out to support so hopefully it can be fixed. Thank you for the advice though. 

Latest posts