Hi Everyone

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neoncherries

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Eva, and I'm a second year undergrad at Mcgill University, in Montreal Canada studying wildlife biology. Currently I have three ferrets (all of which I adore, they are such fun animals!) and two crested geckos (recent additions to the family). I have just recently started researching different praying mantis species and I think they would be amazing to keep as a pet. However, I am new to all invertebrates and have never kept any insects before (besides the crickets i feed my crested geckos haha). I would appreciate any input as to what would be a good beginner species to keep. I have a growing obsession with orchid mantises since they are so beautiful. I first found out about them doing a project for school, and find them incredibly interesting! Anyways look forward to meeting all of you, and learning more about the wonderful world of the praying mantis :)

Welcome to the mantid forum. From another beginner I started out with ghost mantids. They are awesome looking and easy to take care off.

Hello! I started with budwing and ghost mantids (Parasphendale affinis and Phyllocrania paradoxa). Budwings are easy to keep without being too fussy over temp and humidity. Ghosts I am keeping communally and so far so good. Even the L2 ghosts are taking houseflies bigger than themselves, which surprises me every time. So far both have been OK for this beginner.

Hi Eva, welcome to the forums! I'm also facinated by orchid mantids, and I'm leaning towards them as my first species.