Hi, Friends

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey you beauties,

Nice to meet y'all. Super interested in these wonderful creatures so I want to learn as much as I can from this community from which I've heard great things about.

What initially got me so interested was when I learned about ghost mantis from video surfing on youtube-- I never a knew this whole other world of different mantis species existed! I was only familiar with the giant green mantis that I always saw in videos in school or wherever.

And so I splurged this past week and now have 3 L3 Ghost nymphs in a 3 gallon Zoo Med Container. I moretheless know what I am doing, but I am trying my best to emulate the instructions given on guides for ghost mantis-- so if there are any crucial instructions you would like to send my way, please do so.

A bit about me... Born and raised in Southern California and on my way to being a K-6 teacher! I'm hoping I could use the mantis as an educational tool for teaching science to the kiddos in the classroom. Also love sports, nature, saxophone, jazz, and music production in general.

Cheers!

Also, here's a quick pic of one of my ghost nymphs:

20190504_191645.jpg

Welcome to the forum! I think that ghost mantids would be an excellent education took to teach the insect life cycle and just how to care for a pet!

- MantisGirl13

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! Glad you've joined us! 

I love ghosts too! So freakish! 

John Coltrane or Charlie Parker? 🤔
@hysteresis Sonny Rollins. 😋

@Little Mantis Thanks it seems like a wonderful community!

@MantisGirl13 Yes, definitely. Science and social studies aren't a main focus in my local area and I think Mantids and Carnivorous Plants would be a great tool to pique the interests of every type of student.

Also, I think my L3 ghosts I got this past Friday are preparing to molt. On average, how long do the molts of ghosts, or mantids in general last? 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
I love trio jazz the best. Piano bass drums. 

Chick Corea is my fav. 

I'm a bassist myself. 

@strawberrykauf... Nice forum name btw 😉
@hysteresis I agree jazz trio is awesome. Much more intimate and intense imo.

Oh man Chick Corea is definitely the man and has reigned supreme for so many years! So unique and original in his compositions.

Awesome that you're also a fellow instrumentalist! It's what honestly keeps me sane.

Haha thanks-- I love it when people catch where it comes from 🙊🙃

Welcome! I'm always happy to welcome a fellow enthusiast to the folds, be it mantis, music, or, em, kauf-ing 😉

Congrats on the Ghosts! I love them; they are a ton of fun to care for

Mantids usually put off food for a few days before a molt, a clear sign to look for to let you know it is coming. The molt itself only takes an hour or so to complete, afterwards the mantis hangs upside down for a while to allow its new exoskeleton to expand and harden. If you see this in progress, just leave them alone for a few hours and let them do their Thang 😊 there are some cool videos on YT of mantises molting

As they grow closer to adult, they will take a bit longer between molts, but right now your Ghosts should molt every 3-4 weeks. The final molt can take much longer to prepare for, and male Ghosts take longer to mature to adult than females do. 

Good luck and definitely keep us posted! 

Latest posts