Hi from Belgium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tijl

Reaction score
Hi all! After 5 years of being a member I'm not very fast with introducing, but beter late than never..

My name is Tijl and I've been keeping mantids for +- 10 years now, but with other responsibilities(read: because sometimes I am a bit lazy) it was always with ups and downs.. The only two species that I've always kept are D. desiccata and P. paradoxa, others came and went. But about a year ago I decided to put away the other responsibilities (read: stop being lazy ;) ) and put some effort in it, so at the moment I stopped being lazy and again "rolled in" (don't know if it is the correct words?)this (amazing) hobby.

I've known this forum for a long time and learned a lot here, so thanks for all the information! I hope to learn more new stuff and perhaps I can help somebody else sometimes..

I'm also a moderator from the Belgian mantid-forum, so if you're curieus or you want to study dutch ;) , you're always welcome.. http://www.bidsprinkhanen.be

When I began with this hobby very soon there was not enough space, so I changed a room into a "mini-jungle", here are some pictures:

d.JPG

e.JPG

f.JPG

sorry for any mistakes in the language but I'm doing my best :)

nice to meet you Tijl! i have been ghosting around on your forum for some time. what is your method for translating your speech into english it is very good!

I love your room there. I'd also love to visit your country.

Thanks everyone! And thanks for the compliments! I was just lucky that my brother moved out of the house and left a room with a whole wall of bookshelfs, so transforming it to a bug room wasn't that hard..

Until now I'm just speaking with the things I learned in school (with a little help from google translate ;) ), but the fact that you understand the previous message is a good sign :) You can always come to visit Belgium, but it's a quite boring country.. You can drive from one side to another in about 3 hours and our main attraction is "man pee" (don't know if you ever heard of him?) who is about 25 inches tall. so a "big" attraction for a "big" country :p

And by your favorite Detective I gues you mean Hercule Poirot? Mais il parle francais, Je parle néerlandais..

Damn, This forum is much more ifficient than ours! So I'm not only here to learn about mantids but also about the working of a forum :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Tijl,

That's quite a set up. My mantids are less organized and are in two different rooms. I was in your country in the 1980's but was only passing through.

I'll have to check out your site.

Tammy

Welcome Tijl!

Your mantis room looks *awesome*! I'd be very interested in seeing more details of your setup, if you're ever inclined to share additional pics and information. :)

Thanks! I'm amazed that you guys even know Belgium.. Most of the times when I tell someone I'm from Belgium the first reaction is: "huh"? But when I mention Brussels it's "aaaaah" :)

Like you see on the picture, the room never really finished, but I have replaced the empty spaces with "braplast-containers" so it is quit full.. I'll try to post some more pictures later.