Hi from The Bay Area California

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl W

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

My wife found a green praying mantis in the backyard and wanted me to get rid of it. I had a newly clean pickle jar so I put him in it. Yes, I ended up naming him Pickles. I spent the following days looking up all the information I can find in the internet. My first book I bought was, PM Ultimate Care Guide. Finished reading it in a day, I'm currently waiting for Praying Mantids Keeping Aliens. It was recommended from several on Facebook. This forum was also recommended.

I'm semi retired and my other hobbies are astronomy, growing sundews, whip cracking and now raising praying mantids again. I did raise mantids about 30 years ago. I mail ordered an egg case and was able to raise a single one until it developed wings. It died soon after. It threw up something dark and oily looking. My wife was not very happy about it but didn't complain much especially when I brought it with us on vacations. I didn't want to leave it alone for a week. My wife and I are still married. I raised several mantids later but with the same results. I pretty much bungled my way in caring for them. There were no internet in those days.

Thanks. -Carl

Carl... Welcome!

Good luck learning how to keep a pm.

Be sure to read up on ventilation. Pickle jars are risky. PM's need plenty of air flow.

welcome :)

My hubby doesn't like mantids and other insects, but he live with 8 mantids in our home. It is my hobby.?This year they go with us on vacation too.

Latest posts