hi + introduction

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idol

Reaction score
I have always had an interest in Mantids, having kept one at the age of seven and rearing it to adulthood. My interest has been drifting recently, until I stumbled across this forum and garnered a sort of interest in communal mantises, such as the violin mantis and the devil's flower mantis. I hope to learn more about them and how to raise them in captivity, especially Idolomantis Diabolica.

Anyways, I hope to be a part of this wondrous community and learn from the experts that you are. Nice meeting you all.

Heeeyyy!

Welcome!  👊😎 

I look forward to my first group of idolos. I'd never keep them together, though. The specimens are too dear to chance losing any to cannibalism. (especially in Canada). No matter how likely or unlikely that is. If they're hungry, they'll eat each other. That's the way I figure it.

Anyway, look forward to photos once you're set up.

Welcome to the forum! If you want semicommunal mantids (there is no such thing as a communal mantis) then ghosts are a good beginner's species. Idolos are for very experienced keepers and it is best of you have some experience before getting violins too. Ghosts are the best.

-MantisGirl13

Welcome to the hobby and nice to have you.  Like everyone is saying, ghosts are a great low-cannibalism species.  Plus, they look absolutely awesome in a subtropical/temperate vivarium!  I've read that Texas Unicorn Mantids are low risk as well (https://bugguide.net/node/view/71463).  I have two L3s together and they dont mess with each other as long as you keep them well fed and have room for them to move around (see pic).

IMG_20190312_105431.jpg

12/26/2019 Hello! finally a member after waiting for a week! nice to meet you all! my name is JOhn and ive been a professional automotive technician most of my life. ive been raising mantids for maybe 2 years but need as much help as i can get. i live in a very humid climate in Texas. i would call myself a novice though ive had a few different species.. Orchids, Ghosts, Africans, Gint Asians and now im dealing with Giant Devils Flower mantids at around L3/L4. 

Latest posts