Hi new to mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about the 80 oz'ers, but I do know there is a difference with 32 oz containers. I bought a bunch at sam's club, and when I got home I found they were much flimsier than the one's you get from people on here.

They'll do, but the one's on here don't collapse as easily and are just easier to handle. Plus they have the breathable top on them, where as mine I had to cut the center of the lid out and just put a coffee filter over it, for air. Hassle for saving a few bucks.

One thing though is I have a bunch of flimsies for putting crickets in and transfering to mantis area, and thawing pinkies out for my snakes, and a place to put my little snakes while they eat, so there's no conflict between them while feeding.

I also use them for fruit fly cultures, but there again I'd rather use the heavier ones.

If you peruse some posts on here, lots of people use the deli cups and cut a hole low, a bit above the bottom of the cup and put a foam plug in it. This because the mantis' like to hang from the top, and would be disturbed if you open the lid, so they make the hole to put feeders in through, and mist through, so the plastic deli cups work well for that.

Rick has posted some good pics of his deli cup enclosures if you do a search for them.

Have fun with it :)

can someone please show me or tell me what you house your adult female Orchids and smaller species mantids in when adults. I know the 32 oz cups are good for nymphs and adult males. thanks

my room that I will be housing my mantids stays at a temp. of 70-74 degrees 24/7 in the winter. Do I need to raise the temps up for mantids or is that suitable for them to live in NJ winter. thanks

my room that I will be housing my mantids stays at a temp. of 70-74 degrees 24/7 in the winter. Do I need to raise the temps up for mantids or is that suitable for them to live in NJ winter. thanks
IF you have something like a lamp or other things that produce heat you can just put the container near it or on it if you think it is too cold.

I think they should do fine at those temps, even though optimum suggested daytime temps are higher (77-85 F.). They won't grow as quickly, but on the flip side... will live longer. If you are planning to breed them eventually, higher temps may be required to have a sucessful outcome. I've never kept them personally yet, so I cannot give you any better advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's just the temps in the winter when spring/summer comes it's get hotter in the room. it's a small room 6x6 something around that. but if I have to get another heat source I eventually will. thanks again.

Latest posts