Hi! Newbie from Missouri

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_N

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Sean, and I’m 6 (almost 7) years old. I love my pet mantis. I found her in our yard two days ago. Her name is Mantha. My dad said that maybe she is a female because she has six segments. Also, we are not sure what kind of mantis she is.

4F0249DE-5F4D-4A0D-BD3C-643C1501AC2B.jpeg

5A27DD4B-59FF-4323-B17E-D58DD69B24F8.jpeg

821A5F32-A2FC-441B-B509-2980FEA80785.jpeg

Hey Sean! Welcome to the forum. What a pretty mantis! Looks like a stagmomantis carolina to me.

Hi Sean! I started keeping mantids when I was about five or six so we have that in common. That definitely looks like a female Stagmomantis carolina to me too - that's the scientific name for a Carolina mantis. They live in lots of other places of course, not just North and South Carolina! I hope you enjoy your mantis - Mantha is a cute name. I used to name all mine Mandy, Mandella, and things like that.

Welcome, Sean!  I bet it was exciting to find her in your yard.  Have fun caring for her!

Wow she laid a big ooth for you bud! Wish my girls would lay that big!

@Bdawg female mantis will lay ootheca regardless of being mated. They will only hatch though if they have been fertilized. Kinda like a chicken egg. Only a few species in the world are parthenogenic

@Bdawg female mantis will lay ootheca regardless of being mated. They will only hatch though if they have been fertilized. Kinda like a chicken egg. Only a few species in the world are parthenogenic
That's good, at least I won't have to panic-buy a few vivariums to keep up ?

Hi guys, I’m Scott—Sean’s dad. Thanks for all of your replies and comments. It’s good to part of this awesome community!

So, any chance that this ooth could be fertile? We found Mantha in our garden on Oct 13, and she laid this ooth on Nov 1st.

Hey Scott! Glad you guys are part of the forum! 

If you found Mantha as a adult then there is a good chance she had mated; therefore, the ooth is most likely fertile.

Latest posts