HIERODULA Grandis eyes problems

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dokken

Reaction score
Hi,

Since they're adult all my hierodula grandis (8 adults) got dark spots in it eyes

can somebody explain what happens please ???

taches.jpg

Pretty common. Regardless of what you read here nobody knows for sure what causes them. I have had those on many mantids and they never seem to affect them much.

for the moment this mantis lokks sad...and dead !!!

two of those 8 mantis are dead since yesterday.

This disease looks serious

for the moment this mantis lokks sad...and dead !!!two of those 8 mantis are dead since yesterday.

This disease looks serious
What disease? I have had many mantids with the black spots with no ill effect.

I've never had it, but I've heard that it does negatively effect the mantids.
Never affected any that I have had and I have had plenty with this issue. Don't always believe what you hear.

I've had it, but the spots were never very large. Definitely not as large as that, I know it wasn't a result of the darkness either. It didn't affect them at all, the spots went away next molt and gradually came back until the next molt. When they reached adult, the spots disappeared.

I noticed that black spots appear after keeping mantids for some time (about 10 hours) in small containers (around 2 mantid's length), usually when transporting them.

I think this is a stress reaction caused by lack of space.

I noticed that black spots appear after keeping mantids for some time (about 10 hours) in small containers (around 2 mantid's length), usually when transporting them. I think this is a stress reaction caused by lack of space.
It's what Mantidmaniac95 said, the post above you.

It's what Mantidmaniac95 said, the post above you.
Not exactly. I mean that black spots appear not of mechanical rubbing against the cloth, but of stress caused by standing for a long time in close compartment with no way out. Hiding in holes or cracks is typical for cockroaches, but not for mantids. They are creatures of open space, which prefer not even to sit on a flat surface, but to occupy highest points for observation (like flowers or branches). I don't remember any case of mantis getting into container' size cave and staying there for even an hour. Sometimes, for example, when running from predators, they may escape to thick grass or in the bush, but usually they climb out soon. Also, the thickest place in the bush doesn't lock mantis from all sides, as if when using a container.

I think this is something like claustophobia.

Ok,

I found the solution

I made a test

I recept 4 deroplatys dessicata, and 4 sphodromantis viridis

Half mantis was in a glass terrarium, and half others in a PVC plastic terrarium

The one in the glass terra are totally clean, and the others have dark spots in the eyes

So, forget the plastic...water in the eyes and plastic create infections , especially for the massive mantis

Latest posts