Hierodula identification

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got 2 females anyway . and 2 males arriving . so i can try the other male i guess .. but it probs will be succesful anyway. thanks ! look forward to the unveiling of your super secret project !

thanks

Neil

Ah bummer... is this a Grandis or Membranecea? I receive the ooth from Denmark and raise them to subadult now. This is is probably a male sub-subadult.

Hgrandis.jpg

thats exactly what mine look like :D . christian says there isnt a tell tale sign without him actually checking a dead specimen " The differences between closely related Hierodula species aren't easy to see. It concerns the shape and the number of spines on the fore-coxae, the shape of the clypeus (frontal sclerite), the length of the hind metatarsus, the color of the internal spines, the male genitalia, and so on. It is really not possible to determine them without specimens at hand " and also that " Grandis " probaly isnt even in stock anyway and was made up to sell "Membrancea" better ! but that does look exactly like mine !

BTW . nice mantis yen !

Neil

Yen, Mine look the same as that aswell and they were labelled as Hierodula Sp.

The 2 Grandis i had before didn't have any red down the sides of them, just pure green. And i am pretty certain they were grandis, i picked them up from a garden centre that sheldon or ian had sold them to.

Hi.

Now the reddish tinge on the side is not important. It's like the green/brown switch between different instars, or may be characteristic for a certain stock. Regarding the coxae, I would say it is a membranacea. It's not sure from a photo, just an opinion, particularly as the specimen is not adult yet.

Regards,

Christian

It's like the green/brown switch between different instars
mine went from green to brown, about L3/4. I thought it was due to the surroundings. are you suggesting the change is genetic and if so can they go green again?

Hi.

The change is not genetically determined, but environmentally. Just the ability to switch between a green and a brown phase is due to genetical reasons.

Regards,

Christian

Latest posts