Hierodula majuscula both eye blind...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentDeviL

Reaction score
I have a sub adult Hierodula majuscula bith her Eye is blind .... she can't hunt by her self i had to hand fee but other then the eye she look good .. anyone has the same issue before and think she can still make it to adult if i feed her well ?? I don't think this is from rubbing the container ... i think is some virus ...

20121219_104744_zps68abf59b.jpg

20121219_104750_zps654b5758.jpg

20121219_104800_zpsbc620eae.jpg

If she makes it to adult ... i guess will be good for mating cause she can't see the male ........

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the issue a few times.

I think it is from them rubbing their heads against the container sides, trying to get out or seeing another insect that they want. When they molt after having ruubed so much, their eyes can bleed out like that.

I had a female subadult die shortly after a molt that resulted in that injury, but I have a male that molted to adult on 9/27 or 9/28. His eyes look horrible, but he was eating good, mated well, and is still hanging on to life at this time. :D

I have had the issue a few times.

I think it is from them rubbing their heads against the container sides, trying to get out or seeing another insect that they want. When they molt after having ruubed so much, their eyes can bleed out like that.

I had a female subadult die shortly after a molt that resulted in that injury, but I have a male that molted to adult on 9/27 or 9/28. His eyes look horrible, but he was eating good, mated well, and is still hanging on to life at this time. :D
Cool let see if she pulls through ....

yes, my first mantid "sally" was blind for the last month of her old age. i just hand fed her she seemed calm and not jumpy or anything.

Yeah I've had eye rubbing problems with all my majuscula, some almost nothing and the worse is barely noticable, so nothing near as bad as that female...but my sub-adult male has had a black spot behind his eye....when my macro lens comes, ill share a picture of it....he has had it all his life, and it never altered with any molts...

All the best,

Andrew

Whenever I had one start rubbing I moved them to a larger container and they've stopped.

Also there is a bit of space between all of them, sometimes they check each other out but no rubbing.

Try putting honey on her eyes. It can help heal the injury and stop bacteria from making trouble. She wont like it but just be quick. Honey kills bacteria by drawing the water out of them.

I learned that from an excellant herbal medicine book my grandmother gave me.

Try putting honey on her eyes. It can help heal the injury and stop bacteria from making trouble. She wont like it but just be quick. Honey kills bacteria by drawing the water out of them.

I learned that from an excellant herbal medicine book my grandmother gave me.
good tip will try thanks .

When I was inexperienced and thought alcohol would do good for insects as it does to us (disinfecting wounds I mean :p ), I've put a drop on a wound that a male had. His head was almost half eaten. Maybe just one eye eaten or something like that, it was a long time ago. The male went berserk for 10 minutes and died in 5 hours. Well , he wouldn't live long with that wound anyway...

How is she doing now? My favorite daughter of my old Martha has that. She molted last night and now has black pits in both eyes. Not as big as your girl's.

Let us know.

How is she doing now? My favorite daughter of my old Martha has that. She molted last night and now has black pits in both eyes. Not as big as your girl's.

Let us know.
The Female is still living i had to hand feed her tho everything is fine . waiting to see if she molts ... got a Female drop off while molting ... lucky i wont up and saw her on the ground and was able to but her back on top ... i saved her 4 leg and she even got her wings perfect... but ciulden;t save her 2 front arm ..... OMG another one to Hand feed ...........

20121223_120747.jpg

20121223_120951.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Albert,

Make sure to post a few photos of the black eyed female after her next moult please :) .

Thanks my friend

I now have a girl with bad front arms. One is still somewhat useable. She was not able to catch things too well untill I put her in a small container with alot of roaches. Then she really stuffed herself!! She will make it to molt but I worry about my Mini Martha. Will her bad eyes effect her molt? I will post some pics if I can get good ones to show her eyes.my camera is not too great.

Latest posts