Hierodula majuscula care?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hierodulas are very tolerant and hardy. General mantis care applies, I'd recommend daytime temps of 80-90F, night temps of 65-75F with an average humidity of 60%.

I would keep them at a 77-86 and 50-60% they are pretty prone to bacterial infections ;)
I've never heard the "prone to bacterial infection" statement before and I'm very skeptical of its accuracy. Why do you believe this? Can you cite some reliable sources?

Yes I can (Mantiskindom.com) When you mist an enclourse to much mold and small fungi can grow. If there is not enough ventialtion the mantis will get mold (Live gowing off of them or not) on them. The mold can spread and kill the mantis while they try(If it is on the abdomen it can be very deadly) to keep themselves clean. Other mantises that are prone to bacterial infections is the #9 mantis

They are a very low maitinance species. A 32oz deli cup with some substrate is all I use. They like the temp to be in the mid 80s. They are fine with 40% humidity.

This is form the website "Keep humidity at around 60%...too much humidity might induce fungal growth"
We can all agree that too much humidity is a bad thing! This rule applies to most (maybe all?) mantids though, mold and such are not conducive to their health and well being. But in this thread you have stated that the H. majuscula and the P. Wahlbergii (aka #9) are pretty prone to bacterial infections.

You were unfortunately misled. Until a scientific study demonstrates a specific condition or reason for increased succeptability to a specific strain of bacterial infections amongst certain species, it's not a valid claim. No offense to whatever your source, but if they make that claim without citing a valid study, they're just making things up.

We can all agree that too much humidity is a bad thing! This rule applies to most (maybe all?) mantids though, mold and such are not conducive to their health and well being. But in this thread you have stated that the H. majuscula and the P. Wahlbergii (aka #9) are pretty prone to bacterial infections.

You were unfortunately misled. Until a scientific study demonstrates a specific condition or reason for increased succeptability to a specific strain of bacterial infections amongst certain species, it's not a valid claim. No offense to whatever your source, but if they make that claim without citing a valid study, they're just making things up.
That may be the case but I still trust this website for valuable information

If mold reaches any mantid it can result in death. What I am saying is the those 2 species are sensitive to less ventilation than others. (Its also on that website)

Yeah. Certainly some species would be more sensitive to moisture issues than others.
OK. Fair and good points. But I don't think Hierodulas are one of 'em, even if some other site says otherwise. Personally? If we're going to just compare Hierodula notes from the experts, I'll stick with Yen's site and suggestions.

Let us know what you decide to do,it might be fun to compare our H. majusculas results in a few months.

Latest posts