Hierodula membranacea vs Hierodula majuscula

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mraw

Reaction score
I am looking to get back into mantids and I was wondering during what is the size difderence and feeding behaviors between Hierodula majuscula and  Hierodula membranacea.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Mantis place has them at l5 and for this species how many instars until adulthood.  

I have a 40 gallon Breeder tank, but would this be too big and would be hard to keep humidity up for the mantis to molt.  It's one of the zoomed ones ware the whole top is mesh.  Also could some one move this to enclosures and housings.  

I also could do something like this if the 40 gallon will be to hard to control humidity.  What do you guys think 

I also could do something like this if the 40 gallon will be to hard to control humidity.  What do you guys think =
A 40 gallon is a bad idea for a mantis for several reasons. Humidity and temperature aside, feeders would go unnoticed by your mantis (they do even in a 10 gallon usually), so you would have to feed your mantis in a smaller container.  If you feed in the large tank besides feeders hiding in the tank, they can turn the tables on your mantis and chew on them (especially during a molt and can easily kill it or knock them to the ground (slow death) then).

The basic rule of thumb on mantis habitat size is get the maximum length of the mantis species, then provide a habitat that is 3 times taller and 2 times wider/longer. In the case of a Hierodula sp. they top out at about 4.25" (11cm) - so you need a container that is 8.5" long x 8.5" wide x 12.75" tall (921 cubic inches). A 40 gallon tank averages 36" x 18" x 17" (11,016 cubic inches), or put another way - 10,095 cubic inches more than you need (which results in much more difficult care of your mantis). ;)

I like to give my mantises a few more inches of room, as the females prefer it when laying ooths, but that much more room would be problematic. Perhaps you could use the large tank for culturing feeders such as cockroaches or crickets.

Latest posts