Hierodula or Rhombodera?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacier

Reaction score
I am starting to figure out which direction I want to go... but I am having a difficult time picking between these 2. Membranes, Majuscula, Venosa, Basalis, and Megaera seem to all be around the range I am looking at (aside from Majusculas high humidity... Which I guess I could deal with for such a beautiful species ?). I haven't had a mantis since I was a kid... and back then we didn't have info and experienced owners at our finger tips (online) like we do now so it was always an emotional struggle when something went wrong. Soooo... for a basically newb to proper mantid husbandry.... Which of these would you pick for your first and why? If you have a better suggestion throw it my way if it's easy enough to find. I have fallen in love with many of the harder to find/care for species. ?

I guess I should say... I am starting with up to 3. These are my enclosure options... 12Lx12Wx12H exo terra (glass)
12Lx18Wx20H unknown brand (Screen)
16Lx16Wx30T ZooMed  (Screen).

The screen will be replaced as it's currently metal and I realize that's an issue with their feet. :)

I can personally recommend H. membranacea for beginners; I had two, lost one to a freak accident, the other one was a male and lived to the age of nine months. They were very forgiving of my mistakes and rewarding to keep (fearless, highly aggressive eaters but with a gentle disposition toward my hands), though the same probably applies to most Hierodula.

If I could get any mantis, though, it'd be the H. majuscula. Would look great in that exo Terra terrarium! I never see them available in stock anywhere, though.

I can personally recommend H. membranacea for beginners; I had two, lost one to a freak accident, the other one was a male and lived to the age of nine months. They were very forgiving of my mistakes and rewarding to keep (fearless, highly aggressive eaters but with a gentle disposition toward my hands), though the same probably applies to most Hierodula.

If I could get any mantis, though, it'd be the H. majuscula. Would look great in that exo Terra terrarium! I never see them available in stock anywhere, though.
Thanks GingerC! They seem like they would definitely be a good fit, I know I saw some available... now to figure out where I saw them. ?

I don't have personal experience with those species, but I have heard Rhombodera Basalis recommended to beginners too, and I am considering make it my next species to try.  I think it looks very cool.

Latest posts