Hierodula... what?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinx

Reaction score
Stupid Question:

I recently purchased a "Chinese Giant Mantis" and was under the impression that it was a Hierodula multispina. However after her last molt, she has a lot of red in her "arm pits" and under-side of her thorax. This makes her look more like the pictures of a Hierodula majuscula (since I don't see any pics of H. multispina with red under-sides).

Honestly, I can barely tell any of the Hierodula a part and I'm having a rough time with this. I feel stupid for asking, but I'm new and how else am I supposed to learn? I have a video of her up on my YouTube channel, but it's not the best quality and I don't think you can see the inside of her front legs very well...

I think it could be Hierodula venosa or Hierodula majuscula

This is a majuscula at adult

20110510125530.JPG

this is a venosa at adult

afo0-71-38db.jpg

both images from google

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't feel sorry for asking! When you're learning, you make mistakes, learn from them, and ask other people. Name anything, and we were all beginners there at some point.

You may have to wait until she's an adult to know for sure what species she is. At adult, she'll get her wings and will have taken on the color that is displayed by her species.

(Personally, I hope that it's a Hierodula majuscule - they're so pretty!)

Latest posts