Hierodula

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrpx

Reaction score
Can anybody post pictures of Hierodula Grandis and Hierodula Membraneca... Good quality :)

Thanks!

Regards,

Jonas

This is pictures of my H. Grandis female... This should be H. Grandis ??

IMG_0418.jpg

hun.jpg

All H Grandis. All female except the last pic.

animals520.jpg

animals491.jpg

animals492.jpg

animals523.jpg

mantids040.jpg

H.jpg

This is a pair of Rhombodera (Hierodula ?) ssp. supposedly from Thailand.

By the way, I got these from Francisco and he might know more about them. They look a lot like the H. "grandis" I see around these days.

why is there a number 4 on one of its wings
When they all look exactly the same I number them to tell em apart.

Hi.

The "grandis" posted here look exactly like membranacea. The Thailand ones are difficult, as these are a new stock and may represent another species closely related to membranacea. There are about 80-90 species of Hierodula, so any attempt to determine them from photos is rather ridiculous... :)

Regards,

Christian

I thought Rhombodera had a much larger sheild than that?
Not all of them. As long as the expansion extends to the basis of the pronotum somewhat, it is a Rhombodera.

Christian

Okay....is it just me......or does the female in the picture of them mating look like shes wanting some f'in privacy?!? LOL

Ive seen the same look in other pics here in the threads...........poor thing....... :lol:

I have an ooth from the Rhombodera (Hierodula ?) ssp. pair in my pic above. I'm looking to trade for ooths from other interesting species. Email me at [email protected]

Obie

That's how misidentifications arise...

He may probably have Rh. megaera, if it's from our stock. If it's wild-caught, nothing can be said prior of checking dead specimens. Please name them Rh. spec., do not give any specific name prior to identification!

Regards,

Christian

That's how misidentifications arise...He may probably have Rh. megaera, if it's from our stock. If it's wild-caught, nothing can be said prior of checking dead specimens. Please name them Rh. spec., do not give any specific name prior to identification!

Regards,

Christian
Hi Christian,

These are not wild caught. I got them from Francisco, who said they were R. megaera. I showed them to two Thai entomologists who were visiting the entomology museum where I work. One of them does some work on Asian mantids and he said they are Rhombodera and most likely one of the Thailand species (which includes R. megaera). I agree with you that we should be careful not to throw names around without knowing though.

Latest posts