Highly detailed guide to sexing Galinthias amoena with lots of pictures

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Predatorhousepet

Reaction score
I originally wrote this guide for @Synapze after he messaged me asking how to sex his adult Galinthias amoena because the little bugger was too fast to count segments. I decided it was too helpful not to share with everyone. Right now I don't have any good nymph pictures to show how to sex younger instars but I have several ooths waiting to hatch so I will update this post later when I get them (unless someone else can help out sooner.)

Adult Galinthias amoena are easy to sex, you don't have to do it by counting segments because there are lots of obvious differences between male and female. 

The female is slightly larger and wider than the male. Her abdomen is rounded and comes to a point at the end like a teardrop. She has semi-circular protrusions with two dark green or brown spots on each side of her abdomen (four total) that are visible beyond the sides of her wings. The top of her thorax is light to medium green or light brownish green and she has large pinkish lobes above the knee joints of her walking legs. Her wings are smooth, flat and an opaque medium green color. She has a long white or light green mark along the edge of the top half of her lower wings.

The male is smaller, thinner and his abdomen is more oblong shaped. He has no protrusions beyond his wings and the top of his thorax is dark brown or dark green. Males will usually have tiny green lobes above the knee joints of the walking legs although the lobes sometimes develop a touch of pink color once he is further into adulthood and in his prime to mate. (Some males have hardly any lobes or none at all, there is variation among the species.) The male's wings are curved around the sides of his abdomen, darker green and slightly to fully transparent so they appear more vascular. Some males have such transparent wings you can clearly see the redness on the top of their abdomen through them

ae733621f7b7bddc33d4_1.jpg

The female is above eating a fly while the male is looking up at her about to mount.

Here you can clearly see the protrusions beyond the female's wings and two of the dark green spots out of the four she has total.

Galinthias_amoena_mating_3091287e6b5871e9a940_7.jpg

Here you can see that she does have two dark spots on one side of her abdomen.

The underside of the female's abdomen shows her teardrop shape, pointed at the end. The pink lobes on her walking legs are visible.

Closer shot of the female's abdominal protrusion showing it is segmented and at the edges you can see round circles, I think these are spiracles the mantis breathes with.

9f2af5f515a748ed9897_2.jpg

Comparison of the sizes of lobes on their legs,  showing a sexually mature male after developing pinkish spots on his lobes and a female's larger pink lobes. You can also see how much darker the top side of his thorax is than hers.

9f2af5f515a748ed9897_1.jpg

Comparison of the wings between male & female. His are more curved at the edges, darker but more transparent so they appear to be more vascular. Her wings are more flat and opaque and she has a long white mark on the top outer edge of her lower wings.

Galinthias_amoena_mating_3091287e6b5871e9a940_3.jpg

Here you can see the deep red color of the top of the male's abdomen. 

SmartSelectImage_2019-08-11-08-51-02.png.7c94d30cbb480ab7655ab780da000606.png

This is the picture @Synapze originally sent of the underside of his G. amoena thinking I needed to count the segments. The long thin shape of the abdomen and it having no visible dark spots on it's side plus the lack of obvious lobes on the legs led me to believe it was a male although the angle of the picture could have been misleading so I asked for another pic to confirm. He sent this picture:

SmartSelectImage_2019-08-11-08-50-45_zpson0yazmd.png

This picture confirms it is a male. The top of the thorax is dark brown, the lobes on his legs are extremely small, his abdomen does not protrude beyond the sides of his wings, no spots on the side of the abdomen and his wings are transparent enough to see the red color of the top of his abdomen underneath.

Latest posts