Hold your breaths, Saturniid keepers!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr

Reaction score
I'm doing some experiments today with pre-made food using sweetgum leaves. If my recipes work, then others working with these pillars can raise them without having to run and get leaves for them! Wish me luck! :D

By jove, I think I've got it!

An easy to make, non-messy, storeable, year-round sweetgum meal! Now to try it on a test group of 'pillars...

sdc10321d.jpg

sdc10322c.jpg

The only problem I can see is that the nymphs don't do well with the leaves. :/

I dehydrated them in the oven and then pulverized them and strained out the powder.

Right now the recipe looks like this:

1 tablespoon dehydrated sweetgum leaves

1 tablespoon gelatin mix (unflavored)

2 tablespoons water

So I guess as a general rule, it's a 1-1-2 ratio. Otherwise (I tried this) the particles of sweetgum sink or float and you get a layer of gelatin in between them.

One question though.

Are the leaves from young trees or fully grown? The reason why I'm asking is because earlier this year all around my neighborhood they've planted Sweetgums. But they're young and it's going to take a few years for them to get thick trunks.....damn.

I wonder if Luna moth caterpillars like or will take sweetgums.....What species are you feeding these too?

sau22.jpg.gif

This is so brilliant, Zephyr, that it must have been done before! Good luck and please don't give up on trials.

Yes, Habibia18, sweetgum is a primary foodplant for Actias luna and many other Saturniids.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts