Homebrew Crew

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX83Drifter

Reaction score
Alright, I've decided to make a Medium sized enclosure for my Mantis. Now I only put her in here at night, I let her free roam in my closet garden during the day. Ive had her about a week now and man is she tame. So since I'm starting to really like my new friend I made this little spot for her at night. I made this out of an old file container, and supplies from home depot. Got the screen from home depot, and clear silicone. Cut the top off the file containers lid, and replaced with the screen. All the sticks I got from my back yard. The fake leaves are Exo Terra, and of course the heat mad is ZooMed. I'm getting a Night Heat Lamp soon. And all the sticks are held in place with Hot Glue.

Top View

IMG_0520.jpg

Side View

IMG_0519.jpg

Small pieces of bark... Rinsed in HOT water before putting in.

IMG_0515.jpg

Before the Bark

IMG_0517.jpg

The Lid

IMG_0514.jpg

What's underneath, Getting a lamp soon.

IMG_0511.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Stagmo Californica yea. Thanks every one, I was Planning on putting side vents yes, was gonna cut about 1" circles on put the screen.

I think it's awesome you let her free by day. I love doing that. :)
I think I've seen some of your videos on YouTube. I'm planning on getting some Idolo's here soon, gonna let them do about the same thing as you, make spots for em around my room towards the ceiling. From what Ive noticed with my friends, free roam animals tend to be alot happier. hahaha, A close friend of mine lets his panther chameleons live in his room, open air. its awesome.

I think I've seen some of your videos on YouTube. I'm planning on getting some Idolo's here soon, gonna let them do about the same thing as you, make spots for em around my room towards the ceiling. From what Ive noticed with my friends, free roam animals tend to be alot happier. hahaha, A close friend of mine lets his panther chameleons live in his room, open air. its awesome.
Yeah, they take on a whole new personality when given space to roam. They become much more active and secure. I wish I had space to let my Heterochaeta sp. loose. I think they would really love it since they are so big. Just becomes a major chore to get them fed since they prefer flying prey. But a tree with 7 giant bugs on it would be pretty sweet.

I was hoping that your title would lead to a thread about the merits of creating your own moonshine :( sadly dissapointed lol

Soooo, my Mantis is so awesome, I decided to take a video of her chillin on my hand. haha, I cant believe how tame she is for being wild. Sorry for the quality, it is 1080p.... but its shot with a GoPro, so no zooming in....

http://youtu.be/Q3JBuq4qlqs

So, since the arrival of my Idolo's, I've been letting my Stagmo stay free range for a few days now. I woke up this morning, could not find her in her usual spot, I let the day go by thinking i might find her later. Well it got later and later and I started freaking out, thinking I lost my mantid, not to be seen again until found dead in my room... This was not the case... haha, I sat down, looked underneath my shelf to hold my plants, and this is who I found.

IMG_0530.jpg

I promptly fed her a large cricket :) I was not expecting to find this!

IMG_0533.jpg

I doubt it's fertile, but I would like to try and hatch it either way.... Doe's anyone have an idea of how to get it out of that spot? I've never been in this situation, I'm not sure as how delicate these things are. Suggestions?

There is a very good chance that ooth is fertile? Well if you caught her as an adult? Not to mention that ooth just looks fertile to me. Wait like three, or four days for the ooth to harden. Take a razor blade and cut it as close to the wood as possible.

Latest posts