homemade popsicle stick fixtures?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snuhan

Reaction score
I'm suddenly becoming so active again, lololol

So my last post was about how my (now adult) lineola male mismolted, and how one back leg is now bent completely backward at the knee. He seems to be getting used to it, but I was thinking of ways to help make life easier for him when I move him into a larger space in the next few days.

I have loads of popsicle sticks and elmers around from all my hamster related DIYs, so I considered making little ladders for him to climb and hang from rather than normal sticks. I feel like being able to customize and create a little system of ramps for him would be a lot more beneficial than forcing him to haul himself around all on his own.

I like asking here first before doing things like this, just in case the popsicle sticks or glue are somehow unsafe!

The popsicle idea sounds great. Elmer's glue is nontoxic. Ramps and ladders will make life much easier for him. :)

S. lineola is a great species (that's why I have 2) and luckily very hardy. Good luck! Share the results! 

Just don't mist the ladders because elmers glue will dissolve in water. If suggest hot glue that can be misted without danger of hurting the mantis.

- MantisGirl13

Last edited by a moderator:
@snuhan As long as you don't keep the Elmer's glue sopping wet for long periods, it's perfectly fine. It's a good idea to only mist your substrate or the sides of the enclosure anyway to avoid mold. Elmer and I have been good friends for years.  :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had popsicle sticks break out in mold, so I stopped using them. I am keeping Orchids, which require higher humidity, so they didn't work for me. If your RH is in the lower range, mold may not be an issue

thanks everyone! Lineolas don't need particularly high humidity. I mist the sides of their homes about once a week and they do just fine. I bought an interesting piece of driftwood to put on the mismolted mantis side, which he seems to enjoy, but I probably will put a couple ramps in for him so he can get to the top more easily. I'll post some pictures of the final result!!

Another point to note, many mantises prefer to walk inverted, so make sure your design allows for them to hang from what you are making, not just walk upright. Also be sure to leave enough room for the mantis to comfortably molt. Have fun!

Latest posts