Honey?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if i remember reading what these guys have said, i dont think there are any...or at least none to the poit where it becomes a main staple...best stick to bugs mate! :lol:

Who said there were benefits? I don't give honey to them. I feed honey to my flies though.

Sorry, should have clarified--I saw a forum post where someone had smeared his crickets with honey and bee pollen, and was wondering if there was any benefit to this.

Sorry, should have clarified--I saw a forum post where someone had smeared his crickets with honey and bee pollen, and was wondering if there was any benefit to this.
I sometimes smear crickets with the pollen ground into a dust but don't see any difference in anything.

I have always fed flies on honey - there is no point feeding a 'nutritionally dead' fly to a mantis.

Most commonly kept mantids can be reared satifactorily on prey items that are fed on traditional things eg. fruit, peelings fish pellets, but some species do appear to benefit from a diet supplemented by honey.

H. coronatus produces larger ootheca when fed honey and pollen, to a lesser extent, D. lobata also.

Rob.

it's because they're sick

I use honey to nutritionally boost flies before they are fed but it takes a few days at least to boost the flies to the point were they are not as groggy as they were when they first hatch, this also gives them time to develop good strong flight muscles, another plus.

I believe honey/pollen mixs also smeared on certain prey items adds to the mantids overall vigor during hard times, regeneration, mating etc

I have no proof of it but i always seemed to do better or have better succes rates/results when using it[just pollen]. Honey also has antibacterial qualitys and im sure it might have an application were sick mantids are concerned, although i've never fed it directly to mantids?

Latest posts