Horrible Budwing Missmolt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I came home to find that my mantis had shed into an L7 but fell during the process. I helped her out of the remaining shed but she isn't looking swell. Her hind legs have bends and her front claws are really messed up. I swapped her over to a paper towel filled enclosure for softer falling and easier movement. She does take honey but I am struggling with feeding bugs. I'm trying to see if I can get her to shed again and fix some of the deformities. Any suggestions?

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be able to hand feed her by placing a cut up insect to her mouth so she can eat the bug goo (she won't be able to take it from you if her arms are deformed, you'll have to hold it for her to her mouth with tweezers or feeding tongs.) If you can get her to eat a normal amount you may be able to get her to her next molt in a few weeks. The less she eats the longer it will probably take. Also, later instars tend to take longer to molt, especially right before becoming adults so this will require dedication on your part to accomplish. She will undoubtedly need assistance with her molt as well. When she is showing signs she is about to molt (stops accepting food and her abdomen doesn't get as flat as before and if she is molting to adult her wing buds will get puffy) you will need to attach her two back legs to the lid of her enclosure with a small amount of tape and observe closely once she does molt just in case she needs additional help but try not to handle her if it's not absolutely necessary.

Some mantises won't eat right away after molting but if you can't get her to eat after trying for a few days the kinder thing may be to euthanize her by putting her in the freezer for a few hours rather than letting her starve to death.

If I were you, I would give her a chance to live. I have had a severely mismolted T. sinensis live for months on a mixture of peanut butter, honey, mashed insect, and water. If you make this mixture, ut it in a bottlecap, and put her face into the mixture so she can eat. It is less work for you, and she will get what she needs as well as some honey for infection and strength, and some treats (peanut butter). Try this and let me know how it works for you. Pm me if you want. ;)  

- MantisGirl13

I got her to eat some bug guts, but I think today I will try that PB, Honey, Bug, Water mixture. She can move her limbs, but has a hard time moving and doesn't like to. One of her front legs is also missing now the little claw end part; it broke away without much done at all.(On her paper towel it broke, I was alarmed) If the mixture does work and she does shed, I won't be too surprised if she will have to live on that mixture for the rest of her life due to poor claws, but I won't mind. She can be a pampered princess then. (I think the legs will fix with shed though)

My chinese that had that problem had her two raptorial arms twisted up so she couldn't move them, and twisted back legs so she had trouble walking. She lived on my window screen, and I made sure she got her food every day. Eventually she got so healthy that she could find her own way to the food dish and position herself so she could eat. When it comes time for molting, you might have to position her legs in a molting position so she can molt ok. Please don't hesitate to ask questions!

- MantisGirl13

@Little Mantis Yes, my T. sinenis LOVED peanut butter. I have not really tried it with many exotic species, but peanut butter is a real treat for most mantids. 

- MantisGirl13

She isn't really taking to the mix well, and now she won't even eat honey. I am wondering if her mouth parts got gunked up from the mix at all, as she won't even bite/vomit when I place a finger to her mouth when I pick her up. (I am now considering euthanizing her via fridge but I will wait another day to see if she picks up)

Last edited by a moderator:
If she just molted, she may not eat right away. Wait a bit, and try adding more water to the mixture. Sometimes honey or peanut butter can be a little too sticky. I will be praying for her!

- MantisGirl13

Her condition deteriorated very suddenly. She practically died, her body tensed up and hard to move, with only the faintest twitches coming from her. I decided to euthanize her with the freezer. I will now watch my other 8 like a hawk for any sign of shedding to prevent this.

R.I.P Trice

image.jpeg

Oh, I am so sorry! You did al you could to save her, and I am so sorry that you lost her. :(  

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts