horsehair worms

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codexe

Reaction score
Hey I'm new to this 
I found a praying mantis on a window and took it in. It looked pretty weak 
since then I bought a net cage  and care for it as best I can 
For food I caught wild crickets and grasshoppers in a field close by, and moths 
This morning a cricket was dead and we sprayed the inside of the cricket cage and a couple horsehair worms came out 😩
hopefully my mantis didnt eat one from another cricket
looks like I'm gonna need to buy feeder insects online 
is there a way to make sure my mantis is healthy and doesn't have a worm? 

I don't know if they affect mantids but I'm also not sure if you can be 100% sure either. Horse hair worms are creepy.

Horse hair worms do affect mantids. Just keep an eye on her, but if she has one, you can't do much to help her!

- MantisGirl13 

If the mantis is wild caught they could already be a carrier from being outside.

Even with an infected cricket, I imagine transfer to a mantis would depend partially on the stage the worm is in when consumed.

Ill check and try to notice if she does anything weird 
last night I thought she was acting a bit funny but then she pooped loll 
hopefully she's fine and I can find enough moths until I can buy some better feeders 
still have to convince my wife that buying 100 crickets is a good thing loll

I would but no matter how much I search I can't find anyplace online that sells to Canada with a reasonable price 
I think I found one that was 1000 spikes for 40$ with shipping and thats about 60$ here. cant spend that much on feeders that are gonna die within a month. maybe up to 15-20$ would be acceptable 
Im probably gonna buy crickets from a place online that said they weren't feeding them carrots and then keep them in an enclosure with good veggies for them to eat and digest for 2-3 days  before starting to take them to feed and try to have them breed 
for now though Im feeding mealworms  but theyll get expensive fast, she ate 4 adult crickets one time 

Someone told me to put a small piece of raw meat in a jar outside with a funnel. Another person suggested condensed milk. Try those and you can just catch wild flies when you are in a pinch.

I would but no matter how much I search I can't find anyplace online that sells to Canada with a reasonable price 
I think I found one that was 1000 spikes for 40$ with shipping and thats about 60$ here. 
What? 1000 spikes at rainbowmealworms.net are 24 usd plus 40 us shipping.

Theres a place in montana or wyoming or the dakotas that has them cheaper but min order is in the thousands of spikes.

What? 1000 spikes at rainbowmealworms.net are 24 usd plus 40 us shipping.

Theres a place in montana or wyoming or the dakotas that has them cheaper but min order is in the thousands of spikes.
I checked the site out but I only have one mantis so I'd need at most 250 probably monthly and with shipping and conversion rates it comes to 60$ for 250 or about 24 cents each which seems like a lot. It's probably better than crickets to feed even though they're a lot smaller but I can't breed them. idk yet 
shipping's usually what costs most so if I can find as close to local as possible or manage to breed some feeders of my own that'd be best 

Latest posts