Hot and Bothered....

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arwen9

Reaction score
With two males and one female, I had my first mating about a week ago and intended to wait another week or so before introducing the other male. Well, apparently my ... frustrated....other male decided to take matters into his own hands, er, raptor claws. <_<

The enclosure is separated with frosted glass panels with small gaps, enough to allow crickets/flies/etc to move freely from one container to the next, but prevent the adult mantids from squeezing through. Apparently they found a way.

Last night, I came in to check on them and saw something strange on my female's abdomen in the dark. I flicked on the lights and um....my male isn't a virgin anymore. :unsure:

What makes it weird is the virgin was in the far left container--- so my virgin manged to crawl through the gaps in my "fences", past another male that is very aggressive, into my female's tank (who took a chunk out of my other male) managed to sneak up on her in the dark, mate, and still get free without losing his head. Literally.

I really want the ooths from his...contributions. :blink:

Not unusual. The female killing the male isn't as common as most would believe. It does happen more in captivity but you shouldn't be suprised when your males live through the act. Sneaking past another male isn't a concern either, about the only thing he would have to worry about is being mounted by the other male. :)

lol rick.

And yeah, I figured he'd survive. I was just surprised he managed to find his way there and not get stopped by any obstacles. :)

Latest posts