house flies and fruit fly culture difference

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorcham427

Reaction score
hey all, i am curious about the difference between house flies and fruit flies and their diet. my violins and getting bigger! :) thanks Yen Saw!!! anyways, what type of diet can they be used on? i use the same diet for my fruit flies as the STflies.com sells.

any help is much appreciated. thanks!

btw, i buy zebra silkworm eggs in SERIOUS BULK and always have silkworms available... would Violin mantids eat these since they tend to climb when hungry? (looking for food im sure! hehe) i also buy hornworm eggs in bulk and raise them too, i always have hornworms available, would these be OK for Violin Mantids too? i know thse worms don't fly or jump around like fruit flies, but these caterpillars are stuffed with good nutritious foods!

:lol: Really dont know, cause only hornworms I ever had were fullgrown and nothing I have wants one, but on the other hand, I always say, if it can reach the mantis habitat, then it would probably reach out and grab it, so go for it, only I do not know if a steady diet of them is good, worms all seem to be quite fatty, huh! wonder I don't eat them myself! :lol: I do know they are suppossed to eat flying insects, but mine do quite enjoy the occasional cricket!

I have fed hornworms to chinese mantids, they eat about half or so. Once bitten, they really ooze liquids so I have found freshly molted (doesn't have to be) superworms to work quite well. Hand feeding or tricks my be needed.

I have fed hornworms to chinese mantids, they eat about half or so. Once bitten, they really ooze liquids so I have found freshly molted (doesn't have to be) superworms to work quite well. Hand feeding or tricks my be needed.
yeah, that is true dude! lol, i've been squirted on after one of my panther chameleons have bit into a hornworm! lol...

mantids seem to devour their items, slowly... i think ill just stick to the dubia and flies. however, i do have a TON of superworms!!!

Latest posts