Housefly culturing in 12" net cubes

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil, haha, they charged u cause they wanted to make sure u didn't advertise the product for them....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
too funny!

I did use the mix u sent me, I ment was there a post started.... but anyways, here are my results.

The mix was all u said it would be, there were maggots everywhere, they really liked it and I have a new favorite!
cool.gif

I have House Flies maggots now with only the dog food, the smell is better than meat as a medium :lol: . Now I´m not sure if I should add some Flies again, or just wait with those maggots.

saludos

¡Salud!

The flies don't care. They just want to produce the next generation of flies and will lay on anything whose smell tells them that it will nourish the maggots. Also, according to experiments that I have read about, if you continue to feed the flies on dog food alone, you will get an improved yield in later generations. The idea of adding all the things that i have mentioned, like brewer's yeast and casein is to maximize the size and yield of the flies.

I would suggest that you put in a new pot of food if your flies are still active. That way, the pupae in the first pot will all eclose within one-two days and you can clean it out and start again.

¡Buena suerta!

P.S. Can you explain your avatar? It reminds me of an old episode of Dr Who, but I doubt that it is that!

My avatar says in the bottom "I love DF" (Mexico City), and it´s like a duality, like the ying and yang :lol: .

It has some buildings from Mexico City, the "I love DF" and the girl with the gas mask cause of the pollution. So it´s like... yeah DF Rocks but We have pollution.

I made some other with the same topic "I love DF", but with Drugs, prostitution, insecurity.

But the one I like the most is the one showed on my Avatar :p

gasmask.jpg

saludos

What is paraben?
Parabens are esters of para-hydroxybenzoic acid. It's a bit late for me (how's that for a cop out? :D ) but that should mean an aromatic ring with a hydroxy group at one end and the ester group , with an oxo component and usually some kind of alcohol as the radical, at the other. The variety that you get from Joe's frogs is of that kind, I believe, probably methyl paraben.

In small amounts, 1 tsp to 5 cups of mix, it will kill mold but not yeast. Pretty cool, huh? I've tested it against vinegar and found that though both will kill active yeast in large enough doses, the paraben is much safer than vinegar. The worst strategy when using vinegar and yeast is to to pour the vinegar on top of the substrate and then sprinkle the yeast directly on top of that.

See, I said it was late. You won't have to worry about killing the brewer's yeast that I recommend for the house fly mix, because it is already dead.
tongue.gif

@Ghost. Thanks for the explanation of your avatar. Very cool!

Latest posts