Housefly maggot harvesting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantidian

Reaction score
hi :)

Well I'll be breeding flies sooon and I've got afew questions:

1) Is it nessesary to sift them through flour sifters and put them in flour?

2) Will the going-to-pupate maggots come out of the media by itself to pupate or must something be done to help them pupate?

3) If the answer for question 2 is that they will come out automatically, must there be like a barrier to prevent the maggots from wandering away?

got the info from spiderpharm.

cheers

jonjoe

hi :) Well I'll be breeding flies sooon and I've got afew questions:

1) Is it necessary to sift them through flour sifters and put them in flour?

2) Will the going-to-pupate maggots come out of the media by itself to pupate or must something be done to help them pupate?

3) If the answer for question 2 is that they will come out automatically, must there be like a barrier to prevent the maggots from wandering away?

got the info from spiderpharm.

cheers

jonjoe
I think breeding flies is fun, and can be a good way to save money. Oh, and you have flies available whenever you need them.

Personally, I spent $20 on a house fly breeding kit. You could make your own kit if you have the time. I also found a DIY article on making a pretty crazy fly breeding.. tank... bucket... gizmo. It looks very serious though... seemed like too much for me. Since I do feed a combo of fruit flies, crickets of various sizes, I wanted to add flies but not have some massive (smelly) breeding contraption.. I went with the "House-Fly Breeding Kit" which is small.. and easier to manage. :)

Anyway... it took me 2 weeks (and still counting) to get the House Fly Breeding Kit from SpiderPharm though, it includes 500 house fly pupae and all you need to start breeding... along with a printed guide.

For me, the kit saves time... since.. for the next week or two I'll be working 12-14 hour days... it was worth it for me to not have to buy all the materials needed..etc and by the time I'm done with this temp job... I'll have tons of time to mess with the flies and my mantids :)

I know this doesn't exactly answer your questions but I might have answers when the kit arrives in the mail tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think breeding flies is fun, and can be a good way to save money. Oh, and you have flies available whenever you need them. Personally, I spent $20 on a house fly breeding kit. You could make your own kit if you have the time. I also found a DIY article on making a pretty crazy fly breeding.. tank... bucket... gizmo. It looks very serious though... seemed like too much for me. Since I do feed a combo of fruit flies, crickets of various sizes, I wanted to add flies but not have some massive (smelly) breeding contraption.. I went with the "House-Fly Breeding Kit" which is small.. and easier to manage. :)

Anyway... it took me 2 weeks (and still counting) to get the House Fly Breeding Kit from SpiderPharm though, it includes 500 house fly pupae and all you need to start breeding... along with a printed guide.

For me, the kit saves time... since.. for the next week or two I'll be working 12-14 hour days... it was worth it for me to not have to buy all the materials needed..etc and by the time I'm done with this temp job... I'll have tons of time to mess with the flies and my mantids :)

I know this doesn't exactly answer your questions but I might have answers when the kit arrives in the mail tomorrow.
I 've used both the kits you mention Dave. The spiderPharm kit has good materials and good directins, though my tubing was slip-on and I replaced it with threaded tubes and street ells. About the only thing not provided was the piece of 2x4 and that is essential for keeping the flies in, I discovered. :D

The bucket kit is not nearly as dufficult to make as it sounds, and once I had the materials, I built it in about 15 minutes, If you should make it and report on it though, do not mention what you are supposed to use to cover the bucket! I did, and Rick laughed so hard that he went into convulsions and had to be taken to the hospital.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I think breeding flies is fun
Hmmm.... I want to know if you still feel this way about a month or 2 from now! :lol: I'm sorry Dave... but "fun" just isn't quite the word I'd use to describe it. I tried it (well, started a try at it anyways) with one of those styrofoam trays with the moisture absorbing pack glued onto it, from a family pack of raw chicken pieces. I aborted the experiment after less than a week. I couldn't stand the horrid smell! I'd witnessed lots of flys on it, crawling around and likely laying eggs. It was outside on the back deck even... but I just couldn't stomach it. I had to throw it out (gagging) before I even witnessed maggot production!

I 've used both the kits you mention Dave. The spiderPharm kit has good materials and good directins, though my tubing was slip-on and I replaced it with threaded tubes and street ells. About the only thing not provided was the piece of 2x4 and that is essential for keeping the flies in, I discovered. :D The bucket kit is not nearly as dufficult to make as it sounds, and once I had the materials, I built it in about 15 minutes, If you should make it and report on it though, do not mention what you are supposed to use to cover the bucket! I did, and Rick laughed so hard that he went into convulsions and had to be taken to the hospital.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Haha.. Phil you always have the right words to make me laugh/smile. I hope that kit arrives today :) I'd like to get started on it. My fruit fly cultures are loaded with maggots but not fruit flies. Too new and my mantids are pretty darn hungry.

The bucket/kit... how does one extract the fruit flies out of it? How aweful does that smell? (I 'm back in an apartment again lol). Regarding what you had to buy in the store in order to make the kit.... the key is to NOT put it on your head BEFORE you pay for it.... that's the big tip... the other thing is.... while it might be strange/embarrassing for you to purchase that *item*.... it's not as odd as buying doggy treats and personal lube at the same time!

What's the big deal about buying panty hose? :rolleyes: It's not like it's a feminine protection product. :p Hmmm... you know how people are always asking about the foam stoppers for cups? Maybe I ought to suggest... well, nevermind! :lol:

Edit: Oh... forgot to add...

Good thing I pretend I dont understand :eek:
Hehehe!! ;) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Katt! I taught all my sons that so long as they were sure of their own manhood, they need never worry about what anyone else felt. Generally a man's embarassment in such situations is entirely subjective. No one else, including the clerk, really cares. I did have one incident a few months ago, though, when I bought a pair of panty hose and the clerk, a middle aged woman, was overly coy. She asked me, sotto voce, if I would like them wrapped in tissue (I was going to toss them in my bag) and looked Apropriately Discrete. When she had duly wrapped them and taken my money, I gave her my best Elderly Gentleman smile amd said, "If these don't fit me, can I return them? She was still spluttering about store policy on "intimate apparel" when I left. :D

Dave: A real answer to yr question later.

Sorry about that... ;)

They will come out by themselves... no help needed.

You will need to have them in some type of an enclosure, yes, to keep them 1) from wandering away; and 2) to keep them from flying away when they pupate.

That is what the bucket and pantyhose is for. ;)

Sorry about that... ;) 2) Will the going-to-pupate maggots come out of the media by itself to pupate or must something be done to help them pupate?

They will come out by themselves... no help needed.

You will need to have them in some type of an enclosure, yes, to keep them 1) from wandering away; and 2) to keep them from flying away when they pupate.

That is what the bucket and pantyhose is for. ;)
Thanks! I bet phillinYuma wears panty hoses! :rolleyes:

Well, Dave, Jonjoe, you guys certainly seem to have a lot of cross dressing fantasies! :D

If you use the dogfood/woodchips mix, you are less likely to have problems with anaerobic bacteria and nasty smells, but the woodchips absorb moisture, and if you don't keep the mixture wet enough, it will return to the same consistency as dog pellets, hard as a rock!

You don't want the maggots to pupate in the food, because it makes harvesting harder. They will climb out on their own, usually, as Katt says, but some folks help that process along by removing the bowl with the maggots and putting them in a second tray --a shoebox with coarse mesh over a large hole in the lid works well -- with paper towels to mop up the excess liquid. Then flood the maggot container to just below the top of the food layer woth water, cover it with a towel, and the maggots will all crawl out and pupate on the towel or sides of the container.

That's the theory, anyway. A few will drown and some will be more adventurous. It is important that the shoebox is well ventillated, through the mesh. If it is inadequately ventillated, you will get anaerobic bacteria, rotting smells and ammonia, which can kill the pupae and possibly some of your significant others.

An accidental advantage of the flooding method is that by flooding the maggots before they are full grown, you can produce flies that are intermediate in size between a hydei and a regular housefly. (Thanks, Chuck). Is that cool, or what?

I dump the pupae into a large sieve, rinse out the nasties, let them dry on paper towels and put them in a bowl with some flour in it to dry them out, and in a cupla days, dinner is served!

Then flood the maggot container to just below the top of the food layer with water, cover it with a towel, and the maggots will all crawl out and pupate on the towel or sides of the container.
Do you mean place the towel over the food? and those cloth towels or kitchen towels? Btw thanks!

Latest posts