Houston....we have a problem

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scXthursday

Reaction score
So.....I had Zorak out in the backyard with me; under my supervision, I went to go pick him up to bring him back inside, and he flew away; like over the wall into the street away. I attempted to look for him, and couldnt find him. So as upsetting as it is, I do understand that he is a male and that he was probably hanging around for only one reason, to mate. Thought about it for awhile and decided it would be best for him, because I would probably do the same exact thing if I were him.

I think I'm going to get a couple Ghosts', and maybe a female orchid or idolo; any thoughts for the idolo or orchid??

thanks.

Well he needed to be free, hard to be prisoner when all alone :mellow:

ps, don't get the idols, give yourself some kindness.... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Idolos are definitely not beginner mantids, and many (as in most) experienced keepers are having extreme difficulty getting them through their final molts... the mismolt/random death rate at this stage is extremely high.

Ghosts are much easier, probably the easiest tropical species. Just keep the temp in the 80s (though they don't mind 70s either).

DISCLAIMER: I've never done Idolos so that information is secondhand. I've seen a lot of threads on the forum about people having trouble with them.

yeah i was thinking about getting 3-4 ghosts and 2 orchids (preferrably female so they dont fly away). do you think a orchid will do good in vegas?

lol, if you don't take them outside then they don't fly away! :lol:

I have 2 orchids and 3 (formerly 5) ghosts and I love both species for completely different reasons. I've found them both to be easy species. The biggest thing is that ghosts can be kept communally and GENERALLY won't eat each other, unless of coarse they're under my care.
dry.gif

Never take adult males outside unless you want to lose them. As I suggested before, stay away from orchids, idolo, etc until you get a lot more experience. I suggest ghosts, budwings, etc.

Never take adult males outside unless you want to lose them. As I suggested before, stay away from orchids, idolo, etc until you get a lot more experience. I suggest ghosts, budwings, etc.
Great advice. You can observe them just as well indoors. And there are, as Rick has suggested, much better species to start out with than idolos and orchids. Just to name a few, giant Asian mantis (Hierodula membranacea), African mantis (Sphodromantis lineola), Budwing mantis (Parasphendale agrionina), Chinese mantis (Tenodera sinensis), and the Widearm mantis (Cilnia humeralis) are some other species that are more suitable for a beginner to the hobby. I see that you are considering getting ghosts, which is a good choice for a beginner that's looking for something more exotic.

Take care and good luck with the hobby! It's so exciting when you get your first non-native species in the mail; just like Christmas morning. ;)

lol, if you don't take them outside then they don't fly away! :lol:

I have 2 orchids and 3 (formerly 5) ghosts and I love both species for completely different reasons. I've found them both to be easy species. The biggest thing is that ghosts can be kept communally and GENERALLY won't eat each other, unless of coarse they're under my care.
dry.gif
Or they'll decide to eat each other?>