How big is a mature female vinegaroon?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantisfan101

Reaction score
My female is just a millimeter or two shy from 2 inches(excluding pedipalps and her flagellum).  image.jpg

Also, if she is a mature adult, does she look gravid or ready to molt? She hasn’t eaten ever since Cheistmas when I got her... 

Doesn't look like an adult to me.  I'm guessing one more molt which she is probably getting ready for.  She looks very plump from this angle.

I'm guessing she should be in hibernation (or whatever they call it for bugs)  Give her about 4-5 inches of damp cocofiber with a piece of bark or cork laying on top and let her dig herself in. She would probably be dug in already so if you want to giver her a head start you can dig out an opening under the bark and place her in it and place the bark on top.  For a few days when you lift the bark you will see her but eventually she will pack the dirt up against the bark and when you lift it you won't see her.  Put a shallow water dish inside the container (not the hole) but she won't use it until she comes out in the spring.  She will molt inside the chamber and come out in a couple of months and be ready to chow down.   If she starts to burrow in don't bother feeding her and don't worry.  Mine that are not hibernating or getting ready to eat like pigs and those that are ready to shut down won't touch food.  you may not see her for a while.

Thanks, should I keep the substrate damper than usual or leave it as it is? 

Latest posts