How do we get this place more active?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish it were. Maybe it'd be better if photo sharing was as easy as it is on other social platforms. Maybe if Invision released a proper mobile app with notifications.

It's become a utility. A low key way to acquire etc. These are hallowed halls, so that's why I prefer it. Once in a while someone with extraordinary experience pipes in. It's awesome.

I'm willing to don pompoms!  :punk:

. These are hallowed halls, so that's why I prefer it. Once in a while someone with extraordinary experience pipes in. It's awesome.
I totally agree and I love it here but the fact that the activity is so low keeps me from being here more etc. Also, the buying/selling/trading aspect is pretty low too.  However, I have learned so much here just from reading past posts and from you and a few others that are active.  Here's to hoping that more active people join or that others return :)

We tend to live in our photo streams. A status update here and there too. It's just a core of regs that chat it up. I'm sure the old timers have seen wave upon wave. Generation upon generation of nymphs like us chat up a storm. Token Canadian coming through every so on begging for a mantis hook up. LoL. 

I've been fortunate. I've formed relationships with many here, virtual as they are. Almost to the point where I'd rather sit here than in Facebook most nights. 

But also, I 'grew up' here. Not on MK.

Lets party! 🎉😂😭

I love this place too. Helping others, share my mantids stories. ( in RL ppl don't care much about this hobby) It would be cool that more ppl get active here and share stuff and I think that is important  for us to keep active.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the forum would be a little more active (by the people who joined it already) if we were more active in this off-topic section. I say this because of the other invert forum I'm a part of. I read about inverts and I like learning about them, but the off-topic stuff keeps me active on that forum.

But for more people joining, I don't know how that would happen.

I love this forum, and believe that forums are still the best way to interact with others who enjoy the same hobby as you do. My view is that places like reddit and facebook offer a limited interface with your peers--not only is it more difficult to browse information others have submitted, but people go to these websites for multiple different reasons. This, in my opinion, brings carry-over from off-topic comments. It's easy to go off on a political rant on your wall on FB and then carry that same mentality and attitude to, for example, Mantis Keepers. It dilutes the conversation and often times is downright offensive. I feel that if someone has to go out of their way to go to a specific website that pertains to one specific topic, the conversation and information is much more clear and concise with less chance of someone going off on a political/religious or otherwise off-topic rant. Furthermore, the amount of respect that seems to be given around here is far and beyond better than Facebook (the r/mantids subreddit is alright, just super quiet--but its worth it just for Stevie the blind mantises story). 

Just my $0.02. I say redirect anyone you run into to these forums if its too quiet for you.

This will be slightly political. Right now Facebook is being pressured to stop any selling or trading of animals. The more open the forum the more likely to attract the attention of people wanting to correct your behavior. This is happening to some of the fish and rabbit groups.

Small and dedicated can be good too. I can attempt to talk a bit more (as a new oldbie here) who is still learning tons. All of my current knowledge is theoretical but it's nice to get to connect with people passionate about the hobby. The main thing to get more activity is to be active so I can help do my bit and talk! ^.~ Seeing people active again might help pull older people out of the woodworks to reply.

I don't know - I kindof like small but cozy communities compared to exploding and chaotic ones. You just get a nicer community when it's a small town vs a sprawling city (though I do like the idea of more mantis enthusiasts) I'm probably dragging at least one irl friend into the hobby with me now that I'm finally getting into it. 

I like the fact that the forum generally sticks to the topic I think that's the way it should be. There is Facebook to tell the world what we have just eaten for breakfast.     :eek:fftopic:

Latest posts