How do we hatch our mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikkelsen

Reaction score
Hi, My son and I are trying to figure out how to hatch the oothecas we got from the local plant nursery. Our first question is, what kind of container should we use? Our present container has a mesh top and I am concerned they might get out through the small holes. What should we include in their habitat (and not include too)? Also,if the mantids do hatch, what do we feed them? Our plan is to let them go in our garden once they hatch, but maybe keep a few to watch them grow. We are in need of some advice. Thanks so much!

you can use 32 oz tubs or cups and put paper towel in the bottom to hold in moisture and attach it with super glue or from a glue gun and glue the ooth to the bottomside of the tub or cup lid so its facing downward and spray the inside of the cup and paper towel every other day and keep it out of the sunlight!To house the nymphs you can get a small fish tank or a hex aquarium!

Hello and welcome. Please also introduce yourself in the introductions forum.

In your situation the common 32 oz insect cup will work. There will be a lot of nymphs but if you plan on releasing them this won't be a problem. As far as keeping a few, you can buy a few of those insect cups and keep in there. You will need to purchase fruit flies to feed them. THey will eat those for awhile until you have to upgrade to bluebottle flies or crickets/roaches.

Welcome!

We started this way several years ago. We hatched 2 chinese ooths we got at an organic gardening store. We kept 6 and let the rest go in the garden. Amazingly, all 6 survived to become adults. This was years ago and I haven't been without at least one mantis since, even in the "off" season. Let us know when they hatch and there are so many experienced people on here that can further assist you once the babies are here.

Rebecca

Hi, I recently got a ghost mantis ootheca in the mail, it has been 36 days since they were shipped. Since they arrived I have kept them at around 70-80F and sprayed them everyday(I also have the tank with a good amount of humidity)

Is there anything else that I should or shouldn't do?

Latest posts