How do you feel about your mantis(es)?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosh96

Reaction score
First off, I really like my little ghost mantis. If he/she passed away it would suck for me, but frankly I wouldn't be devastated like if something happened to my snakes. My mom is okay with me having mantises, but she gave me a funny look when I was holding my ghost last night while I rearranged its setup. Now, how do you all feel about your mantises? Do you consider them more of an interesting animal to observe or do you feel attached to them? What do your friends and family think about your mantis hobby?

I am attached to them :S I don't say to much about them to people, they just don't get it, lol. Once my family saw the mantids though they absolutely loved them. I brought one in for the preschool class pet and did a little presentation showing all the different kinds an d now the teachers want mantids :) I still cry when they die, and I have so many :)

I don't get attached to them. Their lives are far too short for that.

Wish I could think like Rick. But for me, these are truly pets, so I do get attached to each of them. One just has to adjust to the limited life cycle. The great thing about working primarily with Tenodera sinensis is there's always a new collection of young-uns to raise not too far down the line. I'm also very lucky that most of the females I've kept have lived about one year. My Paraspendale affinis female, Ponder, has also just passed her first birthday.

I am exactly like Sally! I cry when they go, I share stories with friends but nobody around where I live feels the way I do. I do talk about them with others even though they wont understand. Some do!

I have some I am attached to, I feel I am enriched by them. There is no other relationship like the ones I have with mine.

Matter of fact Sticky, I'm driving up to the NH - Maine border for a New England Christmas. Since I have no one to properly care for for Ponder, Wild-One and Tiffany here (SE Pennsylvania), I'm bringing them with me! The main concern is temperature while transporting them to and from the car. They are all very old - I hope they survive the adventure!

BTW, I have some mantis bed-blankets avaliable. I can make some on order too. They are great for old aged mantids that cant climb and need something soft to lay on. I will put them in the classifieds.

Matter of fact Sticky, I'm driving up to the NH - Maine border for a New England Christmas. Since I have no one to properly care for for Ponder, Wild-One and Tiffany here (SE Pennsylvania), I'm bringing them with me! The main concern is temperature while transporting them to and from the car. They are all very old - I hope they survive the adventure!
Its cold up here so they will need protection! Ive heard dramatic changes in temps can kill so be prepared! I hope they like it here,and you too! we've have alittle snow so its pretty.

That might be a good short topic for the BBS. How to safely transport mantids, short distances, in frigid weather. I'm thinking of putting the Kritter Keepers in a large shopping bag or duffel with a few hand warmer packs in cloth towels.

I get really attached to them, just can't help it. My friends do not know I like mantids (maybe except one of them), because if they do, they will probably be very critical of me, and my parents are only slightly tolerant of my mantids, though my mom expressed interest in my ghosts. Thank goodness I live on my own, so I can raise whatever mantids I like, and nobody will know!

Last edited by a moderator:
That might be a good short topic for the BBS. How to safely transport mantids, short distances, in frigid weather. I'm thinking of putting the Kritter Keepers in a large shopping bag or duffel with a few hand warmer packs in cloth towels.
BBS?

Sticky - it's a somewhat anachronistic term meaning: "Bulletin Board Service." In the DOS days of client/server these were very prevalent as forums, gaming formats and such.

Lol. I brought my mantids last year to NJ.

I don't get attached to all of mine because I have too many, and it would be hard to sell them. But I almost always feel bad whenever an adult mantis that I've had for 10 - 12+ months dies. The ones I seem to get attached to most are the ones that aren't perfect and need my assistance. I guess it's because I spend more time with them. I also get more attached when I have just one of a species. Someone gave me a Heterochaeta orientalis back in September 2012. She was L2 or L3 when I got her. So, she is at least 15 months old now and is currently my oldest mantid.

I'm attached to all my mantids even if they didn't get the attention they deserved. There is something very pure under the mantids menacing mentality. The best way to explain is solely by experience. Holding an older nymph for the first time is a good example. At first ill grab the nymph from the net or deli with no hesitation and more then likely Ill frighten it to the point it plays dead or runs. Then while holding it, and talking to it, the mantid will look at you right in your eyes, sometimes defensive with antennae straight toward you. It may jump back at your slightest moves lol but with a smile and a wave, talking to it, when it notices your not a threat, it shows personality. I've found They are curious and playful predators. Science might tell us they are only trying to climb higher or find prey. But I don't always agree with science, as its always revised and rerevised lol. I believe in understanding. I think we dont give mantids enough credit for their trustworthiness and understanding with people. I can rub my rhombos pink belly and it won't look down and pinch me, this has got to be some form of understanding. I can get chaeta excited to the point its stumbling over itself to climb to me.

There's personal experiences we all share with mantids where unless you keep them in a cage all day while they just look at you and wonder what you are, you will never even have a chance to bond with something that mightve showed you who that mantis is. Lol

But when they die I don't get too sad, I get sad when I see a genus fall out of culture..

Latest posts