How do you keep mantis still for pics

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedro92

Reaction score
I try to take pics of my mantids but they keep trying to grab my camera or move. MJ's pics look like they stand still i hope he sees this

It's difficult. Some mantises are more still than others, but I think you just have to get lucky at the right time. If you increase the lighting, you can shoot with faster shutter speed, which helps quite a lot. So, taking the picture when the sun is still out will make the job easier.

Oh I know, you glue their feet to the ground. That should slow them down a bit. :p

You could always try feeding them, a mantis stuffing its face is too distracted to run a marathon.

feed them while your shooting makes it a 100x easier.When there eating they dont really take much notice to you.I know what you mean tho..some are worse than others.chinsemantids are nightmare to shoot..but idolomantids just sit there and do nothing.food is the answer:)

Last edited by a moderator:
i've found that taking pictures when theyre eating can sometimes make it just as hard, if not harder. sometimes when they catch food they vibrate very quickly, or sway from side to side all the time, taking them in and out of focus every other second. if theyre eating and standing still then thats perfect, but i find its just after theyve finished eating a big meal when theyre at their calmest. hungry acromantis are the worst! :angry: :p

I go for the glue! :D or honey! but really I think the stick method is the best, once they get to the top of a stick there is no where to go :eek:
Yep, no where to go but take flying leap at your face while your zooming in close to get a good picture. :lol:

Honey is the answer for me! I put some on the tip of a toothpick and my mantis lifts up the whole thing. She won't care about eanything else. And one time I put a mealworm in the cage and she was rolling over on her back and falling all over the place put refused to lose the worm. :D

-Max

I hot glue their little feet to the branch ... if they wiggle I spray them with cheap hairspray (which makes them really shiney) ... ok .. ok ... JUST kidding

Pnigomantis just seem to have had too much sweets and chocolate and are hyper all the time, mine now and then settles though

Normally if I want to take a pic, I just feed my mantis. After he's caught the prey and kills it, he stays pretty still but if you dont want a pic of them still eating, then you should feed them a big meal and they should stay still. At least thats what my mantis does. :D

Latest posts